Windows 10 Upgrade always fails! (Something happened)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Blinky, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Blinky

Blinky MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    I got a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop (with Slic 2.1 in bios with mod) and I am trying for the last few days to upgrade it with no success!

I hate this system that you need to upgrade first to get activation and then you can clean install, as a clean install goes smoothly, but the upgrade always hangs and I cna do nothing about it!!!

I even installed windows 7 from scratch, added all updates and then proceded to upgrade to 10 either with media creation tool or with the icon , same result.

With the media creation tool, it does all the work (downloads, checks sht, etc) and after about an hour when it reaches the point that it tells you it will soon restart, it aborts and gives a textbox message : "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed"

I strongly say again this happens at the end not in the begining like some utube videos which suggest setting the locale to US and the time etc, I have done all these but its not the same error.

I really have no idea what else to try.... I thought of installint 8.1 and upgrading from there, but this way I risk the fact that 8.1 wont be "really" genuine as in they dont use a slic method to activate...

Any help?

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    :D
    Did you uninstall Anti-Virus, and disable all startup tasks in task manager

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    try from 8.1 or just clean install and kms activate

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    In your Admin account, is the language-region, EN-US.

6. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Files, namely: setuperr.log and setupact.log in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\ might come handy in troubleshooting.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Run MSCONFIG, run selective startup, go to services tab, Check the Hide all Microsoft Services box. Click Disable all, click apply and reboot. Go to folder options and check view hidden files, Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT folder and there may be others where the BT says WS or something. Delete those as well if they are there.

Download the install tool but use "save for another PC", make sure same version as yours, extract the ISO in a folder on desktop and run setup.exe.

If you have a Hard Drive, the upgrade can take over an hour.

If you are already have language region in Admin set to EN-US, as this trick works for some when switched from another setting.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It could just be driver problem I had a friends Samsung NP-RV511I Laptop last week tried to update it to windows 10 no way same thing "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed" searching the net only way seems to be to change network card in laptop. So I just did factory restore back to windows 7 not worth the hassle.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Since it is not activation related, I'd check if it is upgrade procedure related...

There is a way without to upgrade. Daz has posted this in the chatbox.

Validate w7 online
    Generate a genuine ticket of your w7:

Copy gatherosstate.exe from a Windows 10 10240 ISO

Run it on your Windows 7
    It'll output GenuineTicket.xml Save this on USB or something

Then try a fresh install with the w10 pro ISO with the internet connection disabled. Once it's installed copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\
    Reboot and connect online

If the fresh w10 install fails then w10 doesn't work out of the box on your laptop.

10. Blinky

Blinky MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    the fresh install works like a charm! just not activated :(

If I use this way, will it add the machine to the online database for future installations? or will I have to do this procedure every time?

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    If you get bored, delete all in the download folder here- C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, internet turned off, ***and if you know how to enter the BIOS*** / UEFI, in case you need to set AHCI, reset/ clear CMOS. I don't don't know what your default settings are, AHCI might be default.

So internet off, clear CMOS, delete all in download folder, and do the same from above for selective start.

12. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Adding it each time you do a clean install is very easy. Just save if on another drive.

13. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Wish I didn't let my two laptops to be borrowed. Dying to try taking the GT and going on a clean install and adding it from another system.

Imagine if this was the new loader for 10, seems to simple to be true.

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That would not work the GenuineTicket.xml is probably the hardware id for machine it was generated on. That may be the info sent to M$ database.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    AFAIK the genuine ticket is only made to transfer the 'status' while upgrading (machine ID is genuine). Since you are not upgrading you need to transfer the ticket yourself. Once activated online it should not be needed anymore since your HWID will be stored at M$, but I'd keep that GenuineTicket.xml firstly...

You can try to delete it after w10 has been online activated from C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\ ....
    The upgrade procedure is the issue, now try it with the ticket...create the ticket from validated w7...:)

16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks, as I didn't think it would on another system, but this poster said for a HW change.

Here is the post.

17. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I happen to notice your MP3, pretty cool, dying to mix in some whale sounds.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #20 Yen, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Yes.
    HW change:

Install w7 (activate it), create a new ticket, exchange the ticket
    Should work...no confirmation yet, though..