Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7 Stuck on Applying Settings

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by aznkid25, Jul 31, 2015.

1. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I decided to upgrade my main laptop, running Windows 7 to Windows 10 (through Windows Update). Everything has gone well up until the configuring settings portion of the install. My laptop has been stuck @ 1% for configuring settings for a good 4-5 hours now with no movement whatsoever. I can hear my laptop fan going, but that's about it. I have never had an upgrade take this long before. Any advice on what steps I should take from here?

I have tried to hold down the power button to turn off my laptop, but nothing happens. The laptop I am trying to upgrade is a Lenovo x120e laptop. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. littlecx

littlecx MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    same here on my fujitsu

3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Takes me 6.67 mins to clean install win 8.1 an 10, but upgrading, all the preview builds I have done and the first win 10, has been almost up to an hour. If you have a HDD, I can see it taking long but not 4HRS. If you can remove battery after waiting another 2 hours, as not sure what you'll end up with killing it in the middle, you might be able to just continue, or hate me for saying pull the battery.

4. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Ended up removing the battery & then turned my laptop back on. I was greeted by a screen that says "restoring your previous version of Windows." So now I'm back on Windows 7, somewhat hesitant to try the upgrade again.