Windows 10 Upgrade Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Zumbuh, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Zumbuh

Zumbuh MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2015
    I have 6 different PCs I'm trying to get Windows 10 on. I've used the "MediaCreationTool" from Microsoft to do this. It's apparently just an updater to Windows 10. 5 of these PCs are having issues, and nobody at Yahoo Answers seems to want to help me. :( I'll give a list of the problems I have on each PC.

PC 1 - Installed, set up, and went to logon screen. After typing in my password, it goes to a black screen with a cursor. (Upgrade from Windows 8)

PC 2 - Same as PC 1 (Upgrade from Windows 8)

PC 3 - Installed, but after last reboot it goes into a loop of rebooting. BIOS, black screen for a few seconds, then BIOS, then black screen.. (Upgrade from Windows 7)

PC 4 - At random points during download or install or whatever (sometimes it doesn't even load it at all.) in the Media Creation Tool it will say "Oops, something happened." and that's all. (Upgrade from Windows 7)

PC 5 - This PC actually worked fine-ish. Had to tinker for the update to show up in Windows Update (before I found out about the Media Creation Tool) but it ended up working fine. Drivers, DirectX version up to date and everything. (Upgrade from Windows 7)

PC 6 - It installed Windows 10 but if I hit Personalize on my desktop it says "ms-setting://personalization/ No programm is allocated to this file. Install a program or create a link in the control panel if a program is already installed" (Upgrade from Windows 7)

2. lbt

lbt MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    Sounds like corrup data somewhere if all five PCs have trouble.
    Did you install from the same USB drive every time? Have you verified your ISOs (SHA1, MD5 hash) and checked your USB for faults (with h2testw or similar tools)?

3. xchris

xchris MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2010
    In my case I did an install using the mediacreationtool and it automatically bypassed the user creation and installed a .. 'defaultuser0' (!?!) I had to reboot and install again, this is freaking surreal

4. Zumbuh

Zumbuh MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2015
    I didn't use a USB. The Media Creation Tool from MS has an "Upgrade this PC now" option. It automatically downloads Windows 10 each time I installed it.

5. Zumbuh

Zumbuh MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2015
    Safe Mode does a black screen w/ cursor aswell.

Hard Drive works fine.

Same thing with the tool.

I already fixed PC 6, updating worked for some reason.

6. devendradev17

devendradev17 MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2011
    HERE IS SOLUTION FOR YOU

1A. Upgrade from The Windows 7-8/8.1 to Windows 10 RTM
    ======================================================
    1. Make sure your Windows has been activated permanently
    2. Get the latest Windows 10 .esd or ISO file [Currently Windows 10 10240]
    Or Upgrade from Windows Update if and when is available ---- Ref [answers.microsoft]
    3. If you decide to Upgrade From ISO file you can either burn and install from Boot menu
    or
    Simply open ISO file & click to setup exe file to star to Upgrade.
    *** THEN CLICK DOWNLOAD UPDATES
    4. Keep the internet on during upgrading.

I RECOMEND YOU TO DOWNLOAD Windows 10 (Multiple Editions)- DVD (English)(3.8GB ISO)(SEARCH ON TORRENTS ) THAT CONTAIN PRO AND HOME THEN PROCEED THE STEPS ABOVE

7. jhonsnow

jhonsnow MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2015
    I had the black screen issue with just the cursor. That is a video card driver issue and or system is still working, for me it was both. Black screen with just the cursor, I left it for a good 10 minutes and the HDD light was flashing crazy so I didn't want to kill the power just in case it was doing something. Went to my tablet and used remote desktop and logged in and it was still at the welcome screen so it was a good think i didn't kill the power. After another 10 minutes it finally loaded the desktop, removed the old video drivers and rebooted and this time the screen loaded but needed windows 10 drivers.

8. Zumbuh

Zumbuh MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2015
    I'll try to see if it's the drivers, then.

9. Zumbuh

Zumbuh MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2015
    Nope, not drivers. Same issue.