Windows 10 upgrade not working from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tommygun, Aug 1, 2015.

1. tommygun

tommygun MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2011
    #1 tommygun, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    ....... I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 using the "Get Windows 10" icon on the left side of the taskbar.

Also I downloaded a bootable ISO with the Media Creation Tool and created a bootable USB flash drive with it.

In both cases when I try to upgrade I get the following message:

Windows 10 couldn't be installed - You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup

The ISO was created with the option to install from another PC and when I mount the image and run setup from it I get the options Download and install updates (recommended) or Not right now.

Whatever option I choose I get the same message like mentioned above.

My Windows 8.1 Pro is VL and activated by KMSpico latest version 10.0.10240 Beta.

I'm afraid if I do a clean install from the USB flash drive I'm unable to activate with KMSpico.

Sorry, if this has been asked before on MDL, but somehow the search function is not available anymore.

Any help on how to proceed would be very much appreciated .......

2. Beatsy

Beatsy MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2015
    same here.... Id be glad if somebody can help

3. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    What you need to do is UPGRADE FIRST...

Then once its upgraded, then you can go to Settings Recovery and Then choose to DELETE everything (fresh install).

Thats what I did, I even had an illegal copy of pro... now I got a full activated copy of 10 pro FREE :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vacaloca

vacaloca MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2008
    if you haven't already, start setup.exe from the root of the usb flash drive while you're still in Windows 8.1 and upgrade that way.. sounds like you tried to boot from it and upgrade instead

5. tommygun

tommygun MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2011
    ....... I did start setup from the mounted ISO, not from the bootable ISO.

It's strange that the upgrade is available from the Get Windows 10 icon in the taskbar even though my Windows 8.1 Pro x64 is VL.

Microsoft says there is no free upgrade for VL .......

6. tommygun

tommygun MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2011
    ....... like I said, I'm unable to upgrade not via Windows Update and not from the mounted ISO as well .......