Windows 10 UPGRADE Questions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Patrykvdmeulen, May 10, 2015.

1. Patrykvdmeulen

Patrykvdmeulen MDL Junior Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I've think about the Windows 10 upgrade update.

1.Will be there a '''pre system check'' if the current pc system can handle Windows 10?

eg you have a machine that runs 7 with a P4 cpu . will it be warn you that you CANNOT UPGADE?

2.Is there a software compatibility check ?

Because when someone has an old cpu and it CANT HANDLE IT, and he upgrade it from 7 to 10 and it goes wrong wil he lose his files?o_O

Is Microsoft thinking about this?

yes or no?

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I would advise you check the system requirements for Windows 10 first before going about upgrading any of your old systems.

3. MikeMoss

MikeMoss MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2012
    #3 MikeMoss, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Hi

Maybe this will help.

search for: windows-10-hardware-requirements-to-be-the-same-as-windows-8

I'm pretty sure that it will check compatibility before it updates from previous builds, and it does have a rollback function.

I created a new partition (100 GB) and did a clean install from an ISO while leaving my Windows 8 install intact.
    I have since removed the Windows 8 partition, which I'm not always sure was a great decision. LOL

If you have a lot of data installed on your C:\ drive then I'd back it up first just to be safe anyway.
    You should really have all your data on a drive other than the C:\ drive, if you are going to mess around with beta OSes.

When you install software in Windows 10 install it in D:\program files or D:\Program files (x86) so you don't have everything on the C:\ partition with Windows or it will quickly become too large.
    Just change the first letter of the install address when installing.

If you don't have more than one hard drive or a partitioned hard drive then I wouldn't recommend updating to Windows 10.
    I've made 22 system image files and recovered 7 times since I started running Windows 10 TP.

Mike

PS, if you don't have software to make a system image I use, EaseUS TODO backup, free edition.
    It's very easy to use and works great.

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #4 T-S, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015

If your PC can run win 7 has enough performance to run win 8 and win 10

BUT

MS enforced some additional checks after win 8 build 8102.

Checks about NX, sse and PAE support, for win 8/8.1 some patches are available, for win 10 AFAIK not yet.

So double check the official system requirments, or just try to install win 10 on a vhd or on a separate partition to see how the system reacts, before trying to upgrade.

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I very strongly believe there will be a "Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor" or similar "Readiness" tool.

6. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    #6 cuteee, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    I think you don't need worry.

You will know if your hardware match for windows 10. Wait for Win10 RTM.

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    hes box must be real old if he cant run it.....sounds like is time for new comp;)

8. Trenchboygun

Trenchboygun MDL Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Microsoft Sneaks a Windows 10 Upgrade Alert into Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

As part of a series of updates delivered through the Windows Update mechanism, Microsoft pushed out a mysterious patch. The description of kb3035583 says only… This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
    This update is simply a notification mechanism for Windows 10 upgrades. When Windows 10 becomes available later this year, this component will notify users of its obtainability, and being the upgrade process.

The patch creates a new directory in C:\Windows\System32\GWX and installs some files. And, if you dig through the directory full of files, locate and view the config.xml file, it reveals clues to possibly confirm that KB3035583 is a Windows 10 upgrade preparatory package. The file's structure contains 'phase' headers showing: RTM, GA, UpgradeDetected, UpgradeDownloadInProgress, UpgradeDownloaded, UpgradeReadyToInstall, UpgradeReadySetupInProgress, UpgradeSetupCompatBlock, UpgradeSetupRolledBack, UPgradeSetupFailed, UpgradeSetupComplete

So, it's possible that Microsoft has already set the stage for the Windows 10 upgrade – at least for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 users.

:rolleyes:

9. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    This was all known and posted a week or two ago.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  11. wladw

wladw MDL Member

May 7, 2015
    So we get the free Windows upgrade BUT not the free licence for it...

12. Patrykvdmeulen

Patrykvdmeulen MDL Junior Member

Apr 27, 2011
    thx!

But Microsoft made ​​earlier blunders.
    Customers who upgrade from vista to 7 and still experienced problems .
    such as blue screen , ect ect.

But does anyone know how the upgrade screen will look like ?

13. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    probably a nice old BSOD

14. zaphod77

zaphod77 MDL Junior Member

Nov 6, 2014
    If your computer is running 8.1 or 7, and is genuine you get a free upgrade, and a new windows 10 key injected into your iso.

If it's a non genuine windows, you will still be allowed the upgrade, but you will not get a legit windows 10 key, so your windows 10 will be non genuine.

If your PC is running the insider preview, andthere's no SLP or OA 3. you will probably have to supply your key during the upgrade.

15. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Actually MS has stated more than once.
    Anybody can UPDATE to Windows 10 FREE. yes FREE.
    Update does not mean FREE to Activate. like all the rest of the FREE to Download and Install,
    Activation will COST - how much - we are not sure, it all depends, but Free to Download and Install, and if you do not like it, TUFF. you can not go back to your OLD because

All this is pure 1000% Rumors, because M$ has and will change their mind, at any time as they have in the past and will continue to.

All insiders will get FREE but only if you are not an Enterprise User, then I think we will - not sure what else we will change...
    Stay Tuned and wait

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. brownimfc

brownimfc MDL Senior Member

Jan 25, 2015
    I can see his point, retail licenses are transferable in the case of hardware failure.

18. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Yes they are, but they are not giving you a W10 key in exchange for your W7 key so you are still upgrading on a per device/installation basis.

19. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    If the upgrade is anything like the technical preview upgrades then it will upgrade fine.