Windows 10 upgrade tool keeps reinstalling

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dj831, Jan 27, 2018.

1. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I'm running W10 1511 (a version I wanna keep on a specific computer, though I run 1709 elsewhere, or old good W7). I blocked updates many months ago, and reenabled them to be up-to-date. Big mistake ...
    Since, Windows 10 upgrade tool keep reinstalling. To avoid upgrade, I've filled my HDD, but this is not the solution, of course.

What I did:
    • I uninstalled upgrade assistant tool through add/remove panel. This *%"# keeps downloading & reinstalling.
    • Of course, first thing I did was to disable windows update. Something reenable it each time.
    • I removed everything in the scheduled tasks. Of no avail.
    • Directories created by this bullsh** were removed. They were created again.
    • I edited rights on these folders to remove rights to system. Still here.
    Seriously, this thing is like a virus. An even with some virus, it is much more simple to get rid of these than this thing.

What I did not tried yet: removing what triggered that by deleting some directories in WinSxs (always a bad idea though).

I still can 'solve' the issue by applying QoS on my network (Cisco NBAR2, 'windows-update' and 'ms-update' entries to lowest value possible), but I'd love to take control over my computer ...

Thanks for your ideas ! :)

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    1511 having reached EOL/not supported anymore (except Enterprise & Education), it's normal that it will do all to get you to upgrade to a supported build.

3. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    Hi TrustMe, many thanks for your link! I've just applied these seetings and I will check over days. :)

4. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    Well, no luck ... It keeps trying to upgrade, despite everithing was done as per your link. Anyway, thanks :(

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #8 pf100, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    You're right, there will be no updates for him. Oh well, it'll still fix the problem.
    Edit: In this case Windows Update Blocker would be the best easy option. The link I gave earlier has this, but this is just it by itself, which is all that is needed.

6. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    Hi pf100, thanks a bunch!

BTW, I noticed 4 updates since january (plus usual KB890830, and bunch of updates for Office & Defender) What I have: KB4056254, KB4023814 and KB4033631 & KB4023057 dedicated to 1507 & 1511.

I usually trigger updates manually to avoid any issues, but this time, I've been caught. I think that KB4023057 is the one that pollutes my computer like a virus ;)

I'm testing and I let you know - probably at next reboot as usual :mad:

7. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
  8. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    Pfff ... still no luck. What amazes me is that M$ made an update that does not behave like any other updates :mad:

I've set QoS (NBAR on a Cisco router) to drop all updates. It works like a charm on others computers, apart for that update. Time for ACLs, to block all M$ packets to and fro. Unless you have a better idea... (and your ideas were excellent, though, but this time, M$ wins - sadly).

If I have to reinstall OS on that computer, it will be W7. Period.

lizapendray: I called M$ support once, it was a nightmare. The issue I had was solved here, on MDL. Definely (IMHO), people on that forum are willful to help :D

9. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    Well, apparently, it seems to work - at least. What I've done:
    • In Windows\WinSxs, I removed folders apparently linked to WU (especially one named wsupdateclient-core) - 8 folders. I sorted these folders by date of manual update.
    • In Windows\WinSxs\Manifests, I removed files linked to folders I've removed - 9 files. Same, sorted by date.
    • In Windows\System32, I removed UsoClient.exe - the file that apparently triggers unwanted upgrade.
    • In task scheduler, I removed all three tasks linked to Windows update. I even deleted that folder.
    • I deleted hidden folders $GetCurrent and Windows10Upgrade at root of HDD.
    • I double-checked that Windows Update service is disabled.
    • I rebooted, still okay. Absolutely no issue. And no more splash screen about W10 upgrade :D
    Notes:
    • I do not recommend at all to 'play' with WinSxs and system32 folders. You're at risk that your computer never reboots...
    • I've saved these files elsewhere, just in case.
    • To be able to remove these files/folders, you have first to take ownership, and grant you full rights. Then, you can delete them.
    Hope it helps some ...

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's not an update, but an upgrade enforcement, considering 1511 has reached its EOL 2 months ago.

11. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    Yep, Enthousiast, you're right and I agree with M$, but I wanna have control of my computer ;). IIRC, on Apple, no such harrasment: you're on El Capitan, on Sierra, you have limited updates but not such harassment to migrate OS (but correct me if I'm wrong). I'm surprised that M$ didn't learn from past, with W7/8.1 and update assistant that triggered unwanted updates. But triggered lawsuits. I'm even surprised that there arn no lawsuits about that yet, despite disclaimer accepting updates along with installation of the product ...

BTW, splash screen still here:(:
    • In Task Scheduler, a folder with a directory UpgradeOrchestrator (name speaks by itself). Here, multiple triggers to:
      • UsoClient.exe - was no longer here (deleted 2 posts ago).
      • MusNotification.exe, MusNotificationUx.exe and MusUpdateHandlers.dll
    • A folder Windows\System32\UpdateAssistant, where programs are triggered by data in UpgradeOrchestrator.
    To be continued ... :rolleyes:

12. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    UpdateOrchestrator

MS stopped using the word "Upgrade" since ver 1607, they are now "feature updates" :rolleyes:

13. dj831

dj831 MDL Novice

May 7, 2014
    LOL ;)

BTW, it now works! No more updates, sorry, 'feature updates' :rolleyes:. computer back to normal condition :p.

Thanks everyone for your answers/suggestions :D

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    I am getting this as well and it is quite frustrating, I had windows update disabled and bits disabled and found that it had downloaded an entire operating system and was about to install it before I had realized what was happening.

I'm going to try what dj831 mentioned.