Windows 10 USB Install Boot Media Question

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by uffbros, Jun 26, 2019.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I had a friend bring me his HP Laptop to be clean installed. It wouldn't boot. Had corrupted files and wouldn't boot. I do not know if his BIOS was from Win 7 ERA or UEFI era. Here is what I tried and my results. My question is why did the one scenario not work?
    I started with my UEFI prepared boot USB drive and it is formatted Fat32. His computer boot menu did not recognize it. So I moved on to my next boot USB that I prepared from a neat program I got on here or nsane site where it will boot either Legacy or UEFI. It has 2 partitions the 1st is Fat32 with boot files and the 2nd is NTFS formatted with the install files. That drive worked.
    I also tried my Sergi Strelec Win PE boot USB that is formatted Fat 32 and it worked.
    So my question is....If my UEFI boot USB didn't work..why did the Strelec USB boot as they are both Fat32 which is needed for a UEFI boot. If you have a legacy BIOS..eg: Win 7..What format does the USB need to be then? The Win 10 has to be Fat32. Straighten me out on this matter please.

2. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    I have no idea what endless os it...but I know how to bring up the boot menu as I have said. and it sees the one type of media but not the other. Reread what I typed.

3. DukiSync

DukiSync MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2010
    What exactly does it mean:
    "I started with my UEFI prepared boot USB drive and it is formatted Fat32"
    Did you just FORMATED to Fat32 or you did some additional things?
    Which Windows you tried to install?
    Do you remember when you did Sergei S. USB, that you should especially change the settings for MBR (for USB) with BOOTICE?
    In which Sergi S. Win PE did you boot, uefi, x64?

4. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    I use Rufus to do it. In this case it makes a UEFI boot USB by formatting it with Fat32. Win 10 Pro 64 Bit.
    As far as Sergi goes..I just used the included ImageBurn to make the USB from my .iso files.
    The Sergi USB is formatted to Fat 32 obviously.

5. DukiSync

DukiSync MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2010
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    In most scenarios a simple FAT32 formatted USB, containing the extracted ISO, should boot both, UEFI and Legacy BIOS.

FAT32 boots both, a NTFS formatted USB boots legacy bios only.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The Bios is set to legacy settings not UEFI. And you said you had access to bios settings you should be able to see that. As for the bios just get version number when you are in settings and check out HP Website for laptop model and that bios version for info it should also show what OS it can install.

There may also be an HP recovery Partition Press ESC when you switch laptop on it should bring up bios options.

8. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    #8 uffbros, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    (OP)
    @Enthousiast ....The drive that worked....was the one that had 2 partitions...one with boot files was fat32..the install files were on NTFS partition
    The UEFI drive was Fat32 and had the files extracted to it. Wasn't seen in boot menu.
    The Sergi Strelec was fat 32 and booted the machine.
    I reinstalled the OS using the one that has 2 partitions...Computer back to owner...If you say fat 32 boots both...the UEFI one is fat32 formatted as well as the other 2 I described?
    The computer is completed and back to owner..I am just inquiring as to the WHY thing as I have described is all.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    After using rufus (with specific settings used) on the usb i always have to clean the usb (else it won't boot), and next format it FAT32 and extract the iso to its root, it always is able to boot both, uefi and legacy bios.

With my new out of the box 8GB usb keys, all works directly after simply formatting it FAT32 in explorer.

But if all is solved now, it's good to me :)

10. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    What do you mean clean it? Also clean it when? After every use?? Or after needing to extract a new build?

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    To undo what Rufus did to it, to be able to use the simple FAT32 method.

12. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
  13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Nice Script from Enthousiast, I was using Dism ++

14. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...