Windows 10 will not shut down or restart

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by newbiesf, Aug 18, 2015.

1. newbiesf

newbiesf MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, installed all updates, and some software and Windows 10 will not shut down. When I click on "shut down" or "restart" and nothing happens. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!

2. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    #2 Fckr, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    To restart, press Win+R or in command prompt, run shutdown /r /t 01. If it fails, use the "forced closing" argument like this: shutdown /r /t 01 /f

3. newbiesf

newbiesf MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    Thank you. I will try your solution but do you have any suggestions for how I can permanently fix this problem?

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    once it gets a good reboot or s shutdown, it might fix itself. Lets start with one thing at a time, see how it goes from there.

5. newbiesf

newbiesf MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    Update: I was able to shut down my computer using shutdown /r /t 01 but it took a long time. It didn't fix the problem, but I have now figured out that shut down sort of works but takes about 4 minutes to engage, and 4 minutes to complete. Should I just reinstall Windows 10 and start from scratch? Thanks.

6. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    That's always an option. Since it is already a fresh install, you should at least attempt to troubleshoot the problem. Event Viewer->System is a good place to start with that.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Check out what apps are still running at the time you like to shut down and couldn't! It's possible that some app will still run and prohibit the shut down. You could use the Task Manager for that while a 3.party apps may would show better results.

To do such work could be quite some time comsuming to find the culprit. Simply it's maybe to only way to find out what triggers the problem. Don't use to shut down all running apps at once, do it apps for apps, one after the next one, if the one you closed didn't let the system goes down. Do it for 3.party apps first BEFORE going to test the Windows apps!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. newbiesf

newbiesf MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    update: i started from scratch and i reinstalled Windows 10. Everything worked ofter the OS install but the shut down problem came back after I installed Adobe CS6. There was an error message (unfortunately, I didn't write it down) when I was doing the CS6 updates that said something like "to continue with updates, please close dynamic exchange manager.exe" I kept clicking on continue and it let me continue. Once again, Windows 10 will not shut off..