Windows 10 -- Windows Done Right

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by stayboogy, Dec 2, 2015.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    So, I've been playing a lot the last few days with 10, mainly deployment, imaging, and customization from a quick upgrade installed 10 Home host, which when upgraded to from 7 activated with Daz's Loader DID NOT automatically activate after install and never activated--for the best because a better way exists (as mentioned below).

So far, and believe me I was very skeptical at first, this is the best Windows bar none, and I'm finally once again excited about the future of the Windows platform.

What I like best:

RAM is finally utilized correctly in my opinion--though the OS uses more memory than previous versions, that memory is used more wisely. Things that I would suspect to cause lag and slowdown don't, and I find the system seems to support memory intensive functions like multiple desktops very well.

Aesthetics are simple, clean, and able to be customized to my likes without the need of multiple third-party software or hacks. Finally I can theme Windows like I want it right out of the box. It's about damn time, Microsoft.

General usability and user friendliness is back, which was lacking in 8 altogether. No more feeling like an idiot trying to find common settings and applications.

OS portability is greatly improved from 7, and now usb drives and thumb drives and vhd's can all be installed to and booted from more easily than ever before, meaning having a fully functional Windows system with all your stuff is a realized reality and not a novelty.

What I dislike most:

Mobile / Tablet integration into Windows core functionality. The idea of "apps" for my main computing system seems dumb to me. Why would I want any of the same similar things that I have on my Android tablet or my Android phone on my Windows computer? Usually I am wanting the functionality of my computer on my tablet or phone, not the other way around. I don't like how core features like the calculator have to be replaced by a mobile platform type of app instead of the good ole calc.exe. If one wants to use an app for such then by all means let them, but don't make it mandatory.

I could say a lot more, but these are the things worth noting more than anything else. I think Windows 10 is a home run for Microsoft. I'm happy I decided to try it.

I'm now running the latest Education variant of Enterprise, with all the extra crap other than the store removed with MSMG Toolkit, clean installed from Paul's X Files, and activated with the latest Microsoft Toolkit. Couldn't be easier.

Thanks to MDL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Very poor post with nothing like actual facts of data to back it up. Sorry !, but we see this all the time and it's about time that some data gets thrown into a post besides opinion.

Win 10 is filling about 2.4g of memory, far from putting it to use. Probably thousands have used Daz and have a digital entitlement, confirmed over and over. So you didn't play correctly.

Seeing how you have XP and 7, how about some actual data specs from all three OS's to give some validity too your opinion.

3. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts, I agree that favorites called appz are not required and also find windows 10 snapper than 7, might be because I run it on my principal which has more power?

Do not worry about the trolls that continuously try to increase post count saying nothing but criticizing people. I was thinking of developing a signature of the noted, what do you think? In an attempt to bring back a little intellect and common respect to this forum. If you can not take it down from outside ....

Maybe if they have nothing nice to say than they should say nothing at all, not the case for many here.

Regards

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I simply agree with what you told!

Rather than post count, it's an behavior of show off on one hand and the express of knowledge which they have or not have (who knows?)! It's also the like to shout and accuse to others, without any fairness and objectivity! That's also called normal human nature, special on a forum like MDL!

On the end of the day, it's up to any single user what he has for experiences (or not), like or dislike etc., etd., and nobody has any right('s) to claim to tell others what to do or not to do! Idiot's and stupid humans would do so because of non-existing knowledge!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Sounds like you're doing a review of a heavily modified version, not the original, but the thread title and the whole thing credits the original without pointing out the difference. Is that fair?

6. wolf69

wolf69 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    actually if you would have read the top line he is basing his opinion off of home he then says he is now running enterprise

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You need to take a look at your last 30 post's, of which the only thing valuable was the quote ( Give a man a fish here eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a life time.)
    The rest seem to be you playing Mother MDL, and telling people how they should carry themselves on the site. Thanks MOM.

Now MOM, make a new thread and ask everyone to start a thread about their opinion on windows 10 instead of placing it in a thread about said OS version.

Just don't remove your post #3, wow, it's so informative and filled with so much help that any noob will be able to run win 10 with their eye's closed.

8. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Yep, it's not really about the memory usage overall. You can gain a lot of performance improvement by just using the right data structures and algorithms that avoid cache misses and context switches - which sometimes can lead to using more memory to reach that goal. Personally, I don't see much difference on my current PC between 8.1 and 10, they perform equally well in the same scenarios.

There's no accounting for taste, so I'll leave this out of judgement. But: Whether you like the out-of-the-box style or not, the inconsistencies are still there and annoying (it got better with 1511, but it's still far from optimal).

It really depends on how you interact with the system. Personally, I didn't use any of the modern apps in 8/8.1, and I wasn't a Start menu guy even back in the Windows 7 days (pin to Taskbar and Start search just work fine for me), so it wasn't that annoying for me. But yes, you're right, I heard from people who simply couldn't find the shutdown option on 8 anymore, so it's definitely better than 8/8.1 - if it's better than 7, usability-wise... I'm not so sure.

I agree, coming from Windows 7, these features are new, but most of it is already there since 8.

This is the most controversial point I guess. Personally, I agree with you.

One could argue that by using a tweaked Enterprise Education variant, you're not really using Windows 10 like it is meant to be, but more like Windows 7 was. So - it cannot really be a home run if you have to resort to tweaking to make it usable the way you like it. A home run would be if you could select at install time which components and features you want, and which not. At least power users should be able to do so. THAT would be a home run. Sadly, their current approach is: Install everything there is, whether people want it, like it, need it.

9. magnus33

magnus33 MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    His post is about sharing his personal opinion on windows 10 and yours is about attacking his post.

I think we all know which one was more constructive and by far more mature.
    If you disagree with someone post then try doing it more constructively and with less of the i am smarter then you.

They are right you did behave like a troll when you could have responded like sevenacids who posted constructively and debated the points of the post without attacking the person on any level.

As for windows 10 its a improvement with some serious flaws but continuously evolving.

Remember just because you may be right doesn't mean the way you express yourself is.

10. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Our new guide dog which has the time to place others intellectual information into one thread that is very easily obtained in other threads and understood by many here, however they slam others for repeats, not another how do I activate thread! Woof and Gag, we :rofl: guess we need to rise above the new arrives that grace our presence. Glad you have the time and care so much how you criticize others.

Regards

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Are you going to start a fight?
    :sharepopcorn:

:D

12. magnus33

magnus33 MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    What would be the point arguing with someone like that all you prove is that there are two fools and not one ;)

13. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Probably not, why would anyone that you can only do one thing in life. Then again my use of the word "poor" was so bad and really such an atrocity.

I hope that MDL will forgive me for using the dangerous and scary word.
    Poor.

14. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
    #14 pirithous, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
    Microsoft's paid online trolls should copy the OP's post and paste it over on one of Microsoft's online Windows support forums; it's definitely well written. With a few grammatical tweaks, they could make it look like it was written by somebody else.

By the way, I don't understand why someone writes a positive review on an OS that spies on everything you do, has built-in backdoors in it, has been banned by torrent trackers over claims of sending data off the user's HD back to MS, and telemetry can't be shut off unless hacking into the registry and taking a leap of faith that some guide on MDL consisting of 70 pages is going to inform the user of properly turning the spying stuff off. It just goes to show how dumb people are. It's like painting an old car and hiding rust areas and tricking somebody into thinking it's a diamond in the rough.

Even if you did successfully get it turned off, MS can undo whatever third-party hack software you installed to disable spying to re-enable it again. This all just shows what an idioic company Microsoft is. Windows 10 is primarily pulling marketshare from Windows 8.x users and disgruntled Windows 7 users who got conned into upgrading because they were too stupid when it came to GWX.exe and automatic updates. I wouldn't call that a successful business model, especially when spying paranoia is high after the Snowden leaks.

15. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    IMHO 10 does a few things right (faster boot, Explorer enhancements from 8 with usability of 7, lower install size and memory usage, nice UI, eventually DX12), and several things dead wrong (lack of choice or options with forced Windows updates, telemetry concerns/privacy sliders do nothing, only partially using Options while leaving 3/4 of Control Panel intact [more UI segmentation ala 8/8.1]).

I care less about the telemetry than I used to, but the lack of control/options over Windows Updates is a deal breaker for me. I'm not running software, any software, OS or other, that I cannot control what updates I do or don't install. Forget it - not gonna happen. Part of me wants to use 10, but I'm not conceding administrative control of my own hardware at Microsoft's whim. They've already had temporary issues with 10 updates borking machines, and I'm not even attempting to join that unlucky crowd.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I am curious how long this thread can be open. It all depends if people are able to post without to get personal...and respect other people's opinions. :)

I respect your opinion.
    But your thread title does not match to it. (As mentioned by somebody else already)
    You are not speaking of w10 home or pro. (Which is the 'common' w10 for end users.)

You speak of a modified version of w10 Enterprise

How can be w10 done right when you have to modify it with a special tool before you can use it? This is not the way a 'common' end-user (most of the consumers) can go due to lack of knowledge!

The correct title would be windows done wrong it contains 'extra crap' which one has to remove before use and one has to use enterprise which is made for corporate partners and not for 'common' end users.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    It has been said a couple of times before in this thread. If this is an opinion post, then I respect your opinion.
    The fact that you indicated that you used a customized build and not an out-of-box build is important, in that your post does not imply that everyone will have the same good experience that you did.

There has been a lot of talk of telemetry issues, and others have had issues with Windows 10 making unwanted changes to itself. Have you experienced any of these issues? If not, then please share with us what you have or have not done to alleviate them.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us, and for your praise of MDL. This forum has helped countless people to build, repair and optimize computers and Operating Systems for many years now. I too am honored to be a part of MDL.

Best,

:MJ

18. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    honestly, after reading the first couple of posts, i completely regretted starting this thread... this place has changed, for the worse i'm afraid.

but no, my review was of W10 home, not my modified version. the review was as it was installed from the windows update upgrade.

my last remark was what i am running now, not what my review was based on.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #19 Yen, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    I find it wrongful to change your opinion from "Couldn't be easier. Thanks to MDL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to " this place has changed, for the worse i'm afraid."

Only because a few people were confused about your post....MDL is not a few people only and I was confused as well. Sorry about it is confusing, though. :)

20. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    not in regards to content, just with regards to sharing one's opinion--ie. first thread response. i realize it's a big community, i've been around a while now.

always peace to you, yen :biggrin: