Windows 10 with UAC disabled

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by purpleman2k, Jul 27, 2015.

1. purpleman2k

purpleman2k MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Hey everyone.

Quick question - I'm running Windows 10 with UAC disabled (set to "never notify"), and my user account is a member of the group Administrators. In spite of that, whenever I run a program - it runs without administrative privileges.

For example, if I run notepad and try to edit the hosts file, it says "access denied" and I have to manually run Notepad "as an administrator".

Another example is when I try to copy files using File Explorer, I'd get a prompt notifying me that I have to grant administrative rights (which I can, and do).

In Windows 7, if you disabled UAC everything was automatically elevated. Is there a way to have everything elevated in Windows 10?

Thanks

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think it's probably because explorer is being run without admin privileges. It's the default situation.
    You can run admin prompt and restart explorer. I don't remember how. I did it once by accident and I remember it causing problems.

3. purpleman2k

purpleman2k MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    There's gotta be a simpler way. It doesn't make sense that I'll have to specifically elevate each task I'm running.

4. jingyu9575

jingyu9575 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2014
    #4 jingyu9575, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Run "secpol.msc", Local Policies -> Security Options, set "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" to Disabled and reboot. This will really disable UAC, not only hiding the notifications.

WARNING: Metro apps don't work with UAC disabled.

5. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    For me:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLua
    set value to 0
    works fine!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    set to 0 ... all metro app won't run i think...