Windows 11 22H2 Enterprise upgrade fails

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Andrew Butterworth, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Andrew Butterworth

Andrew Butterworth MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2018
    I have a couple of HP Elitebook 830 G6 & G7 notebooks running 21H1 Enterprise. Both are fairly vanilla, however both are failing to upgrade to 22H2. I've tried via Windows Update, the .ISO, the Upgrade Assistant and also imported the update into WSUS and they fail at the same point every time.
    They go through the install, reboot and then at the Black screen it gets to 21%, reboots again, there is a flash of what looks like a command prompt window and they reboot and revert the changes.

I haven't had a dig through the log files yet, but this seems pretty bad?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can and may look into those log files, but I don't think you'll find much that will help you.
    All signs point to a damaged OP system that needs to be fixed and cleaned before upgrading.
    You have to be prepared that you won't find these errors and/or trouble makers and all you can do then is backup your files and do a clean install. And I'm pretty sure, it will go so.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andrew Butterworth

Andrew Butterworth MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2018
    #4 Andrew Butterworth, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    (OP)
    Thanks for the replies. The 830 G7 has Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2 installed from the .ISO I downloaded with the Media Creation Tool with the switches to download the "en-US Enterprise" version. It's domain joined and has Office 2021 LTSC installed. Its been kept up to date with WSUS & Windows Update for other MS stuff that the WSUS server isn't configured to download. Its using the built-in Windows Defender AV. That's it - nothing else is installed. The region settings have been changed from en-US to en-GB (control panel, region, advanced, copy settings so the Display Language, Input Language, Format & location are all English (United Kingdom), however the system locale is still English (United States). There are several GPOs that get applied with it being domain joined, but absolutely nothing else. The BIOS has been kept up to date as well and the latest from the HP website has been applied to both machines.

I ended up booting the 830 G7 from the .ISO and wiping the partitions and installing fresh which has worked fine.

I need to backup some files and make a list of what else is installed on the 830 G6 as this is my day-to-day laptop, however it looks like this will need to be another wipe and clean install - I was expecting an easy ride as its been more or less hassle free with these two laptops & Windows 11.
    I expect I'm not the only one?

Cheers
    Andy

EDIT: Looks like it might be HP printer drivers. There is a HP MFP M475dn that's pushed out via GPO using GPO preferences. It's shared from a Windows 2022 server. I removed it from the 830 G6 just prior to the reboot after the 22H2 install from WSUS and it seems to have worked.
    Need to look at the drivers now...

5. rdubyah

rdubyah MDL Novice

May 30, 2012
    #5 rdubyah, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2024