Windows 11 Bitlocker

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Digitalfox, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Digitalfox

Digitalfox MDL Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Hi,

I never used Bitlocker on my home PCs, but around my house there has been lately many technology stuff stolen in houses, like TVs, PCs, Smartphones, etc...

While my house I feel is secure (alarm, dogs), I'm a bit worried that one of my home PC's might get stolen and they try to access my data.

I have on all my home Windows 11 Pro PCs, password at login, Secure Boot, TPM, everything is sync to Onedrive, however no disk encryption.

How much performance impact, do you feel with Bitlocker turned on?
    And is there a better option alternative to bitlocker?

2. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PolidelticusFire

PolidelticusFire MDL Addicted

May 7, 2020
    There is no performance hit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Digitalfox

Digitalfox MDL Member

Jan 17, 2008
    So, I tried on a home PC activating bitlocker.

At first Bitlocker would say it found an error and would not activate.

I then went to tpm console and dit a "clear TPM".

A reboot was required and when login come up, it said my PIN needed a reset.

Did the reset, it unlocked and showed a Welcome screen but got stuck.

Did a force reset, PIN login came up, inserted the PIN and windows started normally.

Bitlocker is running and explorer shows C: drive encrypted.

Performance, I do feel for example opening File Explorer sometimes drive C: doesn't show up immediately, but a second later or something, everything else for now no problems.

5. PolidelticusFire

PolidelticusFire MDL Addicted

May 7, 2020
    You have to encrypt the whole drive to avoid these delays.

6. Kaldius

Kaldius MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2013
    Yes and go in gpedit and find bitlocker settings there, you can enforce additional authoriation and enhanced pins, so you can have an actual complex password and it will prompt you before the PC will boot into windows, otherwise if someone steals your entire PC it wont really protect your data.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    How not?
    Please explain how you think the data could be accessed (assuming Windows password is complex and Administrator account is not enabled)