Windows 2008 Server + SLIC activation or activation at all...

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by stimey, Jul 20, 2008.

1. stimey

stimey MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    #1 stimey, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    I've heard about MAK keys that only allow an X number of registrations, but I have not heard or seen anything about keys that activate via the SLIC table. Is this simply removed from Windows 2008 Server editions, or just not out in the open yet? I've did some testing and to be honest a default install of Windows 2008 Server beats a striped down Vista hands down, that is after enabling the desktop and other stuff to convert it to a work station. I guess this has a lot to do with the lack of DRM, Indexing and other **** that cripple Vista to make it work "better" for Joe Average. I hope someone here can shine some light on Windows 2008 server activation via SLIC or other methods that do not require some token.dat from a Vista downgrading 2008 in Vista. As a last restort what are methods that can activate it without downgrading, keeping Windows 2008 server as it is, but then activated. Maybe even a time stopper will do, as long as I don't have to resort to above mentioned downgrading.

2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #2 offon7544, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
    very simple, work for me on a test machine and on virtualpc and vmware virtual machine with all updates. How ?

THIS IS FOR TESTING ONLY, IF YOU WANT 2008 SERVER YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

Fisrt stop "SLUINotify" service :

Then put the service to disabled

Then take ownership of files :

Change perms :

Then delete files (you can backup before):

You can reboot now....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stimey

stimey MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    #3 stimey, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
    (OP)
    I've tried that and when I reboot it prompts me for my password which is weird because I use auto login, and then after entering the password it logs me on and off within a seconds and I'm back to entering my password, aka login loop. Had to restore my ghost image to fix it ;) I got all updates installed so maybe something there makes this trick not working any more. Thanks for the tip tho.

Also the takeown command is not enough, had to manually edit the file permissions to get full access.

Edit: Alright, it seems to work now on my restored image, maybe I did too much tinkering on it before trying this trick breaking something somewhere ;)

The timer seems to have stopped, tested it with 10 mins between "slmgr -dlv" commands and the minutes left stays the same. Perfect for now. Beats Vista (which I own legally, came wiht the laptop) in speed hands down. Now all for regaining some HD space, cuz it is faster but also more hungry! IF anyone has other things to activate or delay/bypass activation just dump it in this thread :D

4. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #4 offon7544, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
    Hi,
    Yes, timer seems stop, i have all updates (9 security updates) and all is OK for me.
    I put BIOS VPC date to 2050 and all is OK.

I edit my first post to put the change perms command.

I think this is the best NON-CRACK & NON-PATCH bypass activation TIPS ;-)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. stimey

stimey MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Yes I agree. I don't like patching files or messing about too much. This will be fine until a SLIC key comes along or some bios emulation. For now it is just perfect, thanks for nice step by step. I choose to rename the files rather than delete them tho, like to keep the originals around just in case.

6. DeeJ

DeeJ MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2008
    Disabling SLUI works, but I notice a small delay when logging in.
    I compiled two minimal exe and one minimal dll file and I replaced the ones in system32. Then I re-enabled the service, but the delay is still there...

Any ideas?

7. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Just test, no delay for me :confused:

8. DeeJ

DeeJ MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2008
    Perhaps thats because you have not exceeded your trial period.
    Try setting the date one year after and restart windows, most likely you will experience the delay.

I believe this happens because we are only disabling the notification UI. The trial counter still works...

9. The.Watcher

The.Watcher MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I've tested this, went forward about 3 years and there isn't much of a slowdown upon login in.

No nags, apart from if your viewing the properties of your computer.

Where it will say "You must activate today. Activate now"

But how long this will work. Who knows.

10. DeeJ

DeeJ MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2008
    Well, for me the delay is about 17 seconds.

Questions:
    When you set 3 years ahead, how does windows report your remaining trial period?

11. DeeJ

DeeJ MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2008
    Watcher/offon7544 have you installed the trial from microsoft, or the betainsiders release?

12. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    The MSDN version

13. DeeJ

DeeJ MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2008
    x86 or x64, standard or enterprise? :confused:

14. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    For me : x86 enterprise

15. shadow5555

shadow5555 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2008
    i need a a little help with this activation of windows server 2008. everything went fine up untill i get to the Change perms section

heres what i get:

The operation completed successfully.

C:\Users\Administrator>cacls %windir%\System32\SLLUA.exe /t /e /g %username%:f
    processed file: C:\Windows\System32\SLLUA.exe
    Access is denied.

C:\Users\Administrator>cacls %windir%\System32\slui.exe /t /e /g %username%:f
    processed file: C:\Windows\System32\SLUI.exe
    Access is denied.

C:\Users\Administrator>cacls c:\Windows\System32\SLLUA.exe /t /e /g Administrato
    r:f
    processed file: c:\Windows\System32\SLLUA.exe
    Access is denied.

I have disabled uac. any help would be greatly appreciated iam completly stumped

16. buggernot

buggernot MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2008
    I had the same issue as you did, and when I investigated the command that was causing the issue, I found that the cacls command is deprecated and has been replaced with icacls. Taking it one step further, I made a batch file that does everything for you including backing up the original files before deleting them. Copy and paste the following into a batch file and run at will. If you don't turn UAC off first, right click it and 'run as administrator' to prevent any failures.

---begin unlock2008.bat---
    @cls
    @prompt $G

@echo Fisrt stop "SLUINotify" service:

net stop SLUINotify
    @echo.
    @pause
    @cls

@echo Then set the service to disabled:

sc config SLUINotify start= disabled

@echo.
    @pause
    @cls

@echo Then take ownership of a few files:

icacls %windir%\System32\SLLUA.exe /setowner %username%
    icacls %windir%\System32\slui.exe /setowner %username%
    icacls %windir%\System32\sluinotify.dll /setowner %username%

@echo.
    @pause
    @cls

@echo Then grant yourself full control of those files:

icacls %windir%\System32\SLLUA.exe /grant %username%:F
    icacls %windir%\System32\slui.exe /grant %username%:F
    icacls %windir%\System32\sluinotify.dll /grant %username%:F

@echo.
    @pause
    @cls

@echo Then backup those files:

copy %windir%\System32\SLLUA.exe %windir%\System32\SLLUA.exe.bak
    copy %windir%\System32\slui.exe %windir%\System32\slui.exe.bak
    copy %windir%\System32\sluinotify.dll %windir%\System32\sluinotify.dll.bak

@echo.
    @pause
    @cls

@echo Then delete the original files:
    del %windir%\System32\SLLUA.exe
    del %windir%\System32\slui.exe
    del %windir%\System32\sluinotify.dll

@echo.
    @pause
    @cls

@echo Now it is safe to reboot . . .

@echo.
    @pause >nul
    ---end unlock2008.bat---

17. gail

gail MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Works?

So does tnis method actually work? thanx in advance...........

18. shadow5555

shadow5555 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2008
    I just wanted to say thank you!! That batch info you created worked. One question I did have is how do you verify the activation has been cracked. When i go to properties of my computer it does say i have 38 days left yet the file said completed and I did restaart pc. If i do go and clock on activate it says cant find file.

19. buggernot

buggernot MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2008
    Set your clock to past the expiration date. Reboot. If you can login in, look at your computer properties. It should say that you trial period is expired and you need to activate now. If it does, and you can continue to login after that, it worked. If you cannot login and you are forced to enter a product key and activate, then it didnt work.