Windows 2012 R2 Essentials on Dell 2950

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by rmilyard, Feb 22, 2015.

1. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    Hello all,

I am new to the forums and can really use some help. I purchased a bare steel Dell 2950 with 2 quad 2ghz CPUs and 8gb of ram. I also has (3) 73gb SAS drives in RAID5 right now.

I am pretty new to Dell servers and Windows 2012 R2. I would like to setup an Essentials server at home to testing and learning.

Someone had installed the Eval version of Essentials but after running KMSpico I found I can't do that. I would like to get a full retail version for now to try out. What torrent or etc should I be downloading? Also if anyone has knowledge with Dell server what Dell software should I be installing? Someone told me all I need is the Dell Server Update Utility, v.14.12.200.61 is that right? Also should I install Openmanage and where is that? I am finding the Dell site hard to find anything.

Any help would be GREAT!

2. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    I have a Dell 2950 also. I personally like patching these with the SLIC 2.3 bios and then using the Dell OEM key and certs for permement activation. This works fine for Windows Server 2012 R2 Std (DataCenter is the same as Std in reality - just licenced for unlimited VM's in Hyper-V so you don't need a DC key, just a STD one)

If it's just for learning I would not recommend essentials as it's just got limits on and other packages bundled in. Most tutorials are based on Windows 2012 R2 Standard / DC instead so just use that. Better to learn with the freedom of installing the bits you need rather than the limits of Essentials.

I also never bothered with the Dell software like OpenManage if you server is a home server for study.

3. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I hate to sound like a Noob but when comes to this Dell 2950 and Windows 2012 I am. I am not sure what you mean by this. If you could help me out to learn what your telling me that would be GREAT!

My plan is to use this server to learn 2012 better then after maybe turn it into a home server.

4. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    There are tools for modifying the BIOS of a 2950 so you insert the SLIC data from say, a newer DELL model. The 2950 has (from memory) SLIC2.1 which means you can install Windows 2008 R2 with the Dell certificates & Key and it will auto activate (permanently).

By replacing the SLIC2.1 with SLIC2.3, you can install Windows 2012 R2 using the Dell certificates & key and it will auto activate offline (permanently)

Suggest you do some reading on BIOS mods on this forum.

5. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    I am finding a lot of them. Could you point me to the right post maybe? Also how do you deal with CALs?

6. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    So I think I found my answer to SLIC 2.3 and installing it. However now how to install OS? Do I need a key or will it pick it up from the SLIC in bios now if use retail disc?

7. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    There is a Dell Windows 2012 R2 Standard key & cert public. ;) Look around.

As for Cals, just ignore them for study. They are on paper and not physically enforced by the OS.

8. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    That is nice to know about the CALs. I didn't know that.