Windows 7 32-bit > 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by japiew, Nov 25, 2009.

1. japiew

japiew MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    #1 japiew, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

I just got a new Compaq notebook with Windows 7 Professional 32-bit preinstalled. I would rather have the 64-bit version installed. I had a 64-bit pro (X15-65805) (retail?) disc handy and tried to install it with the OA MEA key (the one under the notebook). Unfortunately that key did not work, so I just continued the install without a key. In addition I cannot use the HP Recovery function the restore the original 32-bit. I still have the .wim so I could use imagex to restore the image again I guess.

So my question are:

0) If I change the X15-65805 disc from retail to oem would it work with the OA MEA key?

1) If not, would it be possible to install 64-bit with the OEM SLP key (used in the 32-bit .wim)?

2) If so is there an easy way to extract the key directly from the .wim?

3) How do I go about making a 64-bit DVD with the slip key integrated so I don't have to activate and how should the ei.cfg look like?

Of course I'll be happy to share the OEM SLP key extracted.

2. japiew

japiew MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    #2 japiew, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    (OP)
    I did do a clean install, but the dvd did not accept they key so i just continued without it. So you're telling me that the hp oem slp key cannot be used for x64? i though that slp keys are bit independent. I know the oem oa keys are bit dependent.

64-bit gives a huge advantage if you run programs that uses a lot of 64-bit integer operations (30% in my case). Even if you have less that 4GB RAM that holds true. I have more than 4GB, but my point is that that is besides the point for me :) Please don't post if you don't have a clue and don't even bother to read peoples posts properly. Thanks for trying to try though.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can use a oem slp key to install x64 you also need to install certificate and obviously you need slic 2.1 in bios.

4. japiew

japiew MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    Thanks for replying Urie!

DO you know how I could extract the slp key from the .wim that i got with my notebook. I could share it and in addition if it installs with that key I'll feel better since it is "legal". So I don't need to modify my bios or anything? How do I obtain a certificate. I assume my bios is slic 2.1 since I got windows 7 pro 32-bit preinstalled?

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    easiest thing to do is install their default image use jellybean keyfinder or the like to get the key and the cert is on the DVD someplace. Or just use one the well known OEM keys (i am still using the supposedly blacklisted Lenovo OEM key, and this is a reformat from a few days ago), then install the HP 2.1 cert.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    if possible try and restore your system and download slic dumptoolkit found on this forum it will let you know if you have slic 2.1 it will also get your certificate and key. there is also a 7 Oem Sources Folder Project thread in stickies you could delete ei.cfg from your x64 dvd and add the $OEM$ folder to sources folder and try it see it it is activated.

7. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...