Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit transition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fosho14, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fosho14

fosho14 MDL Novice

May 1, 2012
    #1 fosho14, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a clean install of a 64 bit upgrade but not completely sure if my system/hardware is 64 bit compatible and am very cognizant that there are many factors that can go wrong with hardware incompatibility when installing 64 bit versions on old computers which is why I wanna run this program called "windows 7 upgrade advisor".
    If your running a pirated version of windows 7 will the "windows 7 upgrade advisor" detect your windows as being cracked when it starts analyzing your system or are you okay? The microsoft upgrade advisor does an excellent job at determining whether your system is capable of running a 64 bit windows OS but I'm terrified that it will pick up on the fact that my windows is cracked. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post links but if you google windows 7 upgrade advisor you'll see the download I'm talking about.

Any help, opinions or discussion about this would be much appreciated guys. I just want to know if it's okay for me to run this advisor so I can be 100% sure that my system holds the necessary hardware to run the 64-bit version of windows 7 smoothly.

cheers

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    The rule of thumb is in general:
    if your system has 4GB of RAM then install 64 bits, if less than 4 RAM then go with 32 bits.

Word of caution:
    No pirated software or OS discussion here.

3. fosho14

fosho14 MDL Novice

May 1, 2012
    #3 fosho14, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    (OP)
    Then why is there talk of people running WAT removers, avoiding updates kb971033 and countless other topics related to piracy all over these forums? Are those all fine? Are those not related to pirated copies of windows? Anytime there is talk about a daz or hazaar loader on these forums (which there is plenty of!) it means something related to piracy is being discussed. I mean this in the kindest way possible, but please look around you hbhb and wake up. There are thousands of posts and threads on here about people trying to activate their cracked version of windows or avoiding their illegitimate windows being detected. You better notify the moderators to shut down a few hundred of those threads and delete a couple thousand posts while your at it. My question is not nearly as bad as many of the things I've read on here which teaches people step by step exactly how to install a pirated version of windows lol. Let me adjust my question. If I know someone that did not have a genuine copy of windows through no fault of their own, would running the "windows 7 upgrade advisor" detect this for this person or not?

And I already know about the ram requirements but as I mentioned in my original post there are more factors than just that, my computer is quite old, and it's not that simple if you want everything to run smooth. This is the reason I wish to use the "upgrade advisor."

I am grateful to any comments and feedback that people have on this subject, and thoughts that are actually related to the question I'm asking.

Thanks

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The previous poster was trying to help you. The caution he gave you is something worth taking to heart or you won't be here long. People test software here there are no cracks. If you want to debate that in your next post I promise you It will probably be your last post. As to your problem.

The basics

1) are there 64bit drivers for the hardware you have installed?
    2) does the processor you have installed support a 64 bit OS
    3) the 4gb is a good rule of thumb as previously mentioned

Post back with any questions and or progress

5. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    Lol true

All the new guys get banned in the first 2-3 hours.
    Why do you post a thread at first????
    Somebody takes his time to help you and then you start BULL....T :confused:

hbhb answered your question,maybe you should define your question better and then start with the poop ;),as redroad mentioned with that attitude you wont last long here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    fosho man, slow down.
    U get hit by a redroad runner, you may not be able to swallow a half biscuit:D
    Answer Redroad questions and do some reading to be able to answer your own questions, nomsaying dawg!

7. fosho14

fosho14 MDL Novice

May 1, 2012
    #7 fosho14, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    (OP)
    First of all please realize that my intent is to purchase a legal, authentic, and genuine copy of windows 7 64-bit. Please mentally put that into effect and process that in your brains.

Secondly:
    I love how no one intelligently refuted anything I said nor answered the question I was asking. very comical. Thanks for the suggestions redroad but the entire reason I'm asking this question is because I want to be completely sure that every component of my system is compatible with 64 bit and I'm not entirely sure what is and what isn't (which is the whole reason I want to run the upgrade advisor!) because it checks everything out, and tells you quickly, efficiently and easily. Would someone please simply tell me whether the "windows 7 upgrade advisor" detects if a windows is not activated.

If someone could actually read the english words and phrases that are being typed here and respond with comments that are on topic, on point and relevantly in context that would be greatly appreciated.

And also, to the disrespectful ppl above who did not reply with anything of value or anything relevant. You guys never accurately or congruently responded to my point at all so I will write it again for you...
    Why is there talk of people running WAT removers, avoiding updates kb971033 and countless other topics related to piracy all over these forums? Anytime there is talk about a daz or hazaar loader on these forums (which there is plenty of!) it means something related to piracy is being discussed. Did you ever stop and notice how hundreds of these threads related to how ppl are trying to falsely activate their windows have not been deleted, or shut down or the OP's even warned! Again, I repeat, I am telling you this so you can put things into perspective and see how ridiculous it is to condemn me when in reality there are things being discussed on this message board that are much much worse than this innocent thread. My question is not even remotely dangerous compared to the types of things that are being discussed here. This is a very innocent question that does not involve downloading pirated software! I am inquiring about whether the legal "windows 7 upgrade advisor" detects non-activated or non-genuine copies of windows. I want to buy a legal 64-bit version of windows 7 and therefore need to run the windows 7 upgrade advisor to see if my set up is compatible. If you must know every piece of background information about my life, a family friend built our computer part by part and although it is very high performance it was built quite some time ago. I'm not sure if the version of windows he installed is genuine or not which is why I want to buy a new copy that is 100% genuine. Obviously I don't want my current computer that I'm using now to have any problems or stop working after running the upgrade advisor if it is not in fact 100% genuine, because I do a lot of online banking and business transactions on a day to day basis and can't afford to have my pc decline in capabilities or performance.

Please intelligently respond rather than insult me, it is so classless. If you don't know the answer, or have nothing of value or merit to say, than please don't respond. Personally I am not here to fight with anyone or be attacked or berated like this nor do I have the time to do so! Hopefully a rational person with a reasonable level of reading comprehension will be kind enough to interpret and respond to this very basic post that I have needed to repeat 3 times and simplify.

Again, in case anyone is unclear: Would someone please simply tell me whether the "windows 7 upgrade advisor" detects if a windows is not activated or not genuine?

Thanks for the time

8. half Man Half Biscuit

Jun 1, 2011
    Dear fosho14,

1. If you would have searched for 5min through the forum you would have found the answer by your self :)

2. Three people understood the same,it can´t be we all are dumb or??? (maybe we really are lol)

3. How do you expect help from any body here with that behaving???

4. Every answer given is helpful,if it´s not the answer you like or need you say THANKS mate and say if somebody else has any other answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. fosho14

fosho14 MDL Novice

May 1, 2012
    "Half man/half biscuit." Stop asking me to thank you for being rude/unhelpful and in general very useless to me (and causing me to waste time reading your annoying illogical pointless posts). When people help me I always thank them and am very gracious in doing so. When ppl just write off topic incoherent gibberish mixed with insults I usually don't tend to thank them for that lol. Does that make sense to you? Did you read any of my above post, what are your thoughts on what I wrote? Are you capable of rationally responding to anything on point or anything related to my statements? lol wow!! Please don't just babble it's getting increasingly tiresome to read.

I appreciate any posts that pertain to the topic/task at hand or ppl who actually have thoughts to contribute related to the question I'm asking.

10. fosho14

fosho14 MDL Novice

May 1, 2012
    Clearly I wouldn't be asking if I could find it by myself. I have scoured these forums looking for the question I am asking but could not find it. Therefore I started a new thread. Please direct me to the answer if it is so easy to find it in 5 min then :)

11. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  12. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    #12 sid_16, May 2, 2012
  13. fosho14

fosho14 MDL Novice

May 1, 2012
    redroad thanks for the input I appreciate it. I am aware that my processor and ram are more than sufficient to run the 64-bit windows 7, but I was wondering more about the potential conflicting issues with incompatibility surrounding all the drivers and all the other components of the computer that I am not sure will be compatible which is why I wanted to use the update advisor to get everything thoroughly checked. But to answer your question yes, I have a phenom 2 x4 940 quad core processor 3.0 ghz which is 64 and 32 bit compatible and I have 8 gb ram.

If I give you a screen shot or a list of my full pc specifications would you be so kind as to let me know if it is compatible with 64-bit windows 7?

14. fosho14

fosho14 MDL Novice

May 1, 2012
    Here are my pc specifications (summary) taken from the piriform speccy link you sent me :

system specs.jpg

15. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #15 alextheg, May 2, 2012
    Fosho with those specs I'm surprised you aren't already using 64 bit. FYI, the upgrade advisor isn't an activation checker so feel free to run it .

Now some info about the forum. We are here to help and share freely. We are not about piracy . We are about understanding Windows Activation Technology and how it works. This includes BIOS Modification . All for educational purposes you see.

Some analogies if you will .......
    I can tell you the components of a bomb, yet I'm not saying blow something up. I sold you a gun, I didn't tell you to kill a person. I showed you how Windows Activation works and pointed at a tool that proves it can be manipulated , I didn't say rip off MS ya pirate !

The choice is yours in the end and people here have chosen to help you. Not all are experts but they give their time freely for you. Please be respectful of that. Making emphatic demands for this, that or the other. Can easily be misunderstood.

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    On looking at the specs you provided the following questions come to mind.

1) is everything on a single drive and single partition?. It appears so
    2) If you are running a business and you value the data you have, what is your backup plan for the data? and separately the backup plan for you OS?

Recommendations:

1) separate the OS from the data
    2) install OS on it's own drive leaving the large drive for data storage and have an additional drive for backup
    3) downdload the ISO of the 64bit Windows 7 that you intend to purchase
    4) unplug the drive that has previous os installed on it
    5) with the new OS drive installed attempt install with with downloaded image of your preferred OS.
    6) if there are any discrepancies they will show up then and you can resolve them
    7) upon having all issues resolved with OS and a good install of OS you can begin to move data

That is how I would go about it given the info you have provided so far.

17. half Man Half Biscuit

Jun 1, 2011

LOL i didn´t ask you to THANK me or anybody else.(I didn´t do anything for you to thank me)
    I didn´t want to help you because of your behaving.

And i can´t see that i insulted you or anybody else here :confused:

Well it´s up to you how you want to behave in a forum in the end

Wish you a nice day ;)

18. fosho14

fosho14 MDL Novice

May 1, 2012
    Thank you moderator, that was precisely the information I was looking for, that's all I needed to know, and was the only thing I was asking from the beginning until I started getting bombed by others. Redroad thank you as well.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I close here now.