Windows 7 64-bit EFI installation - how can I activate it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crex, Feb 25, 2011.

1. crex

crex MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2011
    As the title says, I've done a EFI installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    Could someone tell me any possible loader/program or other that can activate Windows?
    Unfortunately Daz's loader doesn't work, he kindly suggested me to try:
    timesurfer's IR5 - I would like to leave this as a last option since it runs a process in the background (if I've understood correctly).
    BIOS mod - Don't know what it is, but my motherboard has UEFI, so how does it work?
    HAL7600 - It seems OK.

I would like it to be as "stealthy" as possible, but I'm fine with anything since I've less than a month to activate.
    Thanks for any help. :)

2. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I wouldn't leave timesurfer's IR5 as a last option, it would be a prefered option IMO ;)

3. crex

crex MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2011
    So you mean it works fine with an EFI installation of Windows 7?

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    IR5 has no processes running! As instructions say only task is on system and it runs every 30 days

It is still my favorite cause it doesn't mess with system files and never bricks boot

It is hardware independent

5. crex

crex MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm confused, an EFI installation is a software matter, right?
    Anyway if it works fine with an EFI installation it's OK, I just would like to have it confirmed.
    After that I'll start reading it's thread. :)

6. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Your pc is EFI-Based?
    I recommend trying timesurfers IR5 and posting results..

7. crex

crex MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2011
    Yes, it is. My motherboard is a MSI P67A-C45 which has UEFI.
    Sorry if I insist, but you guys are sure that it will work? I wouldn't like that my PC isn't able to boot anymore. :p

8. bojanmil

bojanmil MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    I installed Win 7 64bit in UEFI mode and I can't activate it! Pleas help! GPT partition table...

9. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    We are on the brink of a lot of folks upgrading to P67 boards. Am I wrong in thinking that the Gigabyte boards are the best option for those of us needing modded bios/loaders? Maybe this info should be a sticky somewhere?

10. crex

crex MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2011
    If you have an UEFI motherboard and have done a 'normal' installation of Windows, then you should be able to use Daz's loader.
    If, like me, you have done an EFI installation you can't.

11. chnix

chnix MDL Member

May 16, 2010
  12. bojanmil

bojanmil MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    IR5 is not enough good solution. :-( DAZ's loader is th best! I waiting for new version that can activate Win7 installd in UEFI mod.

13. threepe

threepe MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    How do you choose between installing Win 7 in UEFI mode or not? I'm on the brink of buying a new mobo, and the one I was looking at has one of these UEFI BIOSes. I am now thinking that maybe it would be best to avoid getting this new style of bios.

14. bojanmil

bojanmil MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    Google for "Force Windows 7 install DVD to do an EFI boot" . You have to remove BIOS boot support from installation DVD.

15. beppe_7

beppe_7 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2008

all newer motherboards are coming standard now with UEFI bioses to overcome the MBR limitation. the only ones that i know of are gigabyte that uses the old style bios with UEFI underneath to overcome the 3TB + limitations. there is called the hybrid UEFI look into it

16. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Sounds Good... I always love modding a fresh mobo...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. VanGog

VanGog MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2010
    just one question.

May I use a "SLIC-ed" EFI firmware whick was posted somewhere here on this forum on my new P8P67 Pro mobo ?
    Or I have to go with that "RWEverything procedure" which vladxed666 mentioned?

Greetings!