Windows 7 7048 & 7057 x64 hang on reboot - help?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Belarathon, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Greetings:

As explained, my last two clean installs of 7048 and 7057 x64 hang on shutdown or reboot, indefinitely. Has anyone encountered this, and have been able to remedy the situation?

Thanks

Cary

2. 1clicc

1clicc MDL Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yes! i have the same problem as well. When i did a clean install it also hang on the page where it says "Setup is starting". It hangs there for about half an hour than i finally got to where i can choose where to install windows to. Once the installation finished and rebooted it hang on where you see the windows boot logo for about 2-5min than finally boot up into windows. I also notice that it lag when i'm in windows for example when installing program and playing songs on wmp and also when opening other local drive so i'm thinking that my HD is probably giving up. I've also switch the drive with my other computer and the installation seem to speed up with no hanging but i haven't install it on the new drive to test it out to see if it's really my drive, maybe later. So any suggestion are welcome.

3. Belarathon

Nov 21, 2007

4. Belarathon

Nov 21, 2007
  5. 1clicc

1clicc MDL Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Silly me! I found out what the problem was for me on the hanging part when shutting down and rebooting. I have two HD and one HD SATA cable was plug into the SATA4 port on the motherboard instead of SATA2 port. Once i plug my secondary HD to SATA2 it boot up and shut down normally, weird huh? So my OS HD is on SATA1 and my backup drive is on SATA2. You may want to check your hardware connnetion too Belarathon.

6. Belarathon

Nov 21, 2007
    #7 Belarathon, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
    (OP)
    Wow - You might be on to something there - I know for a fact that my two striped SATA driver are on non-consecutive ports. It was never a problem before, but hell - worth a shot. Going to try it now. Thanks.

Edit - Nope. That wasn't it. But great thought! : )

7. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Try to reset the bios, no overclocking and see what happens.

8. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I have a fine installation of Windows 7 build 7057 x86. However, i experience some compatibility problems installing my drivers, which leads me to computer hanging when shutting down. I installed most drivers, but 2. Ricoh Card Reader and Wireless Internet Card. They couldn't be installed on 7, without compatibility mode of Windows Vista. I've done so by going to "properties" and run on compatibility mode. When i pressed ok, to save the changes, the window of the setup (explorer) froze. I finished the task and re-started but it finished and didn't restart at all. I Rebooted (using ctrl+alt+del) and it just hanged. This happens severall times since the changes to the compatibility mode weren't kept in the "hang session". I used the compatibility troubleshoot and i got it to work that way.
    Build 7048 seemed much more stable, in means of hanging in shut down (which i think i didn't have with 1 week of use) and with compatibility mode (which worked very well, no explorer hanging).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Belarathon

Nov 21, 2007
    Just tried that - It's not helping. Thanks though.

You know what's strange is that when I finally become impatient and reset the computer, Windows 7 is under the mistaken "belief" that the shutdown was clean! In other words, I don't get prompted for boot options as you normally would when you have an abrupt shutdown.

10. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    #11 throbber, Mar 14, 2009
    got the exact same problem.
    i just installed 7057x64 from 7.7048.x64. from restarting to the desltop takes 10 minuites:eek:
    and then the pc is still doing something. try to open a folder of file and nothing happens for another 2 minuites.
    screen gos transparent so you can just see the fish. then it suddenly kicks of.
    going to have to go back a build:(

im just burning 7048x64 to dvd for a install

11. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    When did it start happening? After you installed an app or just after you go through the OOBE? Check your event logs, and see if there are any warnings or errors, if there are research them or just post here what they are and I will see what I can find out.

12. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    this was a clean install with no software installed. im back to 7048 now so i can't check the event log.
    have to leave that to Belarathon. i did notice with 7057 that it took a long time to install compared to the other builds......painfully long. i expected a error to pop up at anytime.

13. 1clicc

1clicc MDL Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Belarathon, try to unplug all your other HD and just leave the main one which have the OS on only just to see if the boot up and shutdown speed up. Once you have done that and if it reboot and shutdown normally than you can go from there on. That's what i also did when i was troubleshooting the problem. Right now everything is running like it should be for me.

14. phistyle

phistyle MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2008
    hmm reading from various windows 7 forums...seems like build 7057 is giving a lot of people trouble...I think I'm going to sit tight on build 7048 for now....

15. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I have 7048 on 1 HD and 7057 on another. I am not sure 7057 is better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Belarathon

Nov 21, 2007
    I've got a few issues - like windows not refreshing automatically when deleting files, but overall, pretty much liking it.

About now, I'm wondering about the OS's hard drive footprint. It seems to me that one of the goals of W7 was a significantly smaller presence on the hard drive. It ain't happening yet! Although - there is some software that I've beta tested for years - the betas are always twice as large as the final builds - must have something to do with debugging.

I'm not conviced that W7 x64 is faster than my everyday install of W2K8. It some respects, yes - but not overall, I don't think.

17. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I have used 32 and 64 bit - not sure 64 bit is faster, but it seems to me it is smoother and more stable. AND, it gives my 8 GB RAM something to do. I use 64 bit all the time. Currently on 7057 Ultimate x64.

18. Belarathon

Nov 21, 2007
    #19 Belarathon, Mar 14, 2009
    (OP)
    Supposedly, and I've seen the benchmarks, W2K8 X64 is the fastest OS in the arsenal - narrowly edging out XP x64 for the top mark. Overall, W2K8 x64 edges out Vista x86 by an average of 10%.

It goes like this:

W2K8 x64, XP x64, Vista x64, Vista x86. XP.

I agree it is indeed smoother. I'm limited to 3gb due to a crappily coded Hauppauge PVR-150 driver...but still prefer the x64 OS.

19. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    What is W2K8 ? Windows 2000?