Windows 7, 8.1 computers will no longer be sold starting November

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Katzenfreund, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
  2. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    Is it safe to assume the OEMs will not provide W7/8.1 drivers for those who would like them? Likewise, no SLIC/KMS support for those OS's as well.

3. Crime[Scene]

Crime[Scene] MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    #3 Crime[Scene], Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    I have a couple of Ubuntu/Windows XP and up dual boot laptops. Will the new hardware prevent a Linux installation?

(Okay, after reading the link, I see there are exceptions and methods for installing 7 & 8.1).

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    All MS can really do is not sell Win7 COA to the OEM's. If the OEM has stock - they will continue to roll win 7 out.
    Plus they can always license the PC with Win 10 Pro which has downgrade rights to 7 - No COA needed...
    ie, HP workstation notebook ships with Win 7 Pro by default but include Win 10 Pro installation media...

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, intersting thread...
    I usually have a desktop built from selected parts every few years. That basically is a Motherboard, a Videocard and a CPU.
    What do I have to look out for to be able to install Win 7 on it? As I am not gaming, I never need anything faster than a i5 anyway...

Should I want to buy another laptop (I use an old HP for travelling), then I also buy one without an OS installed. To be able to add Win 7, what do I need to look for?=

Thanks

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #8 Joe C, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    lol....legacy hardware!
    Seriously, Your bios will need to be able to disable secure boot and CSM. If you get a laptop with an Intel 100 series chipset you may need usb drivers too but as of today, manufacture's are providing usb drivers for W7. Can't say how long that'll last though

If I didn't know better.... I would think that M$ really hates W7 and wants to kill it asap. I've never seen any corporation want to kill it's own with such veracity before

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Pretty much all motherboards at the moment support Win 7. There's some notebooks that do have issues and the manufacturers can't be bothered with support.
    ie, fully loaded/stable & working but won't wake from sleep.
    Everyone talks about USB30/3.1 support but forget about M.2 NVMe/PCIe ssd support as well.
    So check for support & see if the model your looking at has drivers/bios for Win7 support.
    Also check out any FAQ that may link to a tool for Win7 installation...

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, I knoiw, I was talking about two or more years in the future....

„So check for support & see if the model your looking at has drivers/bios for Win7 support.
    Also check out any FAQ that may link to a tool for Win7 installation...”

“Seriously, Your bios will need to be able to disable secure boot and CSM. If you get a laptop with an Intel 100 series chipset you may need usb drivers too but as of today, manufacture's are providing usb drivers for W7.”

"So check for support & see if the model your looking at has drivers/bios for Win7 support.
    Also check out any FAQ that may link to a tool for Win7 installation..."

Thank you both, I have added those quotes to my installation instructions.

“If I didn't know better.... I would think that M$ really hates W7 and wants to kill it asap. I've never seen any corporation want to kill it's own with such veracity before”

In my humble opinion: You do NOT know better.

The sales figures in the mass home computer market keeps going down fast and more an more people feel what they have is actually adequate and whatever “improvements” are on offer, are most certainly almost never worth the money. When I start this self built 5 year old $5oo desktop with an i5 and an $80 SSD it takes 7 sec to be ready for use.
    There is not much of a market left for MS, they know, and so have invested massively into all the trickery in Win10, but now find that the ones they want it to use, refuse to, even for free!
    There is no money to be earned with 7 any more. Most people remember how much they were forced to pay for it, and what kind of blue screen hassle or pop ups telling them about being illegitimate, many had. My computer broke down when I was in Japan. All computers here are equipped with japan OS, and no Ulti available pre-installed. Using Vistalizer I changed the language and promptly was told that I was a thief. Japan MS let me know, that no one speaks English their (which I verified at a visit, would you believe that?) And US MS told me it has nothing to do with that I bought it in Japan and so I have to deal with Japan.
    So I looked around…. and found MDL….
    The idea that people who get treated like that will ever buy another MS product is a joke. I am sure, in this decade we will all get to read a newspaper notice mentioning a 5 digit number of MS employees that will have to go. That will be the beginning.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    Informative table that shows that PC sales are growing. Do Windows laptops count as PCs? And what about tablets? Are they correspondingly receding?

13. Runs[with]Scissors

Runs[with]Scissors MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2016
    I prefer 7 over 10, but I do run 10 every so often. I'm hoping by the time 7 is difficult to install or maintain that I will be more or less be embracing 10.

14. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I feel the same. :)

15. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  16. Cheese_in_a_Can

Cheese_in_a_Can MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2016
    They keep saying bullying is a bad thing, but I guess it doesn't apply to corporations.:mad:

17. william1955

william1955 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2016
    I don't know, is it proper thread.
    If no, great request to administrator - please move my post to proper thread.
    Now problem - Kaby Lake and Zen will not be Windows 7 compatible.
    And what about Bristol Ridge A12-9800 ?