Windows 7 after 29 July questions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by agodng, Aug 1, 2016.

1. agodng

agodng MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    Hi at all, I wanted to ask two question..
    but after 29 july microsoft will remove updates for free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 (after a clean install of win 7)

but if format and install Win 7 and install only security updates (no optional updates) I will have alerts of windows 10 gwx or various upgrade notification or telemetry etc.

thanks in advance
    Ago

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    It is hard to know what Microsoft is doing, but yesterday I dealt with one of the Windows 7 and there was not no longer any GWX and other messages or popups. Everything was as it should be. But what goes on in future, nobody knows.
    ------------------------------
    This is my own old desktop, which was not possible to upgrade, because it motherboard is so old, but works correctly with W7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. agodng

agodng MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    thank for reply, but that you know the various telemetry and other updates to win 10 they were in the recommended/optional updates?
    I was thinking of reformatting pc with win 7 and install only the security updates

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Use Simplix Win 7 pack from this forum

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&amp]A clean install of Windows 7 is not necessary to get rid of the Windows 10 upgrade nagging. Microsoft has stated it took time to roll out the Windows 10 nagging and it’ll take time to roll it back in. I suspect they’ll accomplish the rollback via an update.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]But it is true you never know what Microsoft will do until they actually do something.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I used GWX_Control_Panel for months and later never10 to eliminate nagging. Never10 is still active and I see no compelling reason to undo what it does. And as long as my Windows 7 is stable and not nagging me, all is well; no clean install needed.[/FONT]

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    But exactly that's what I was talking about. Strange, of which still? If there isn't no more this GWX and anything else, what's then more needed? Why to reformat? Or You don't know, what means disk formatting? What means to wipe disk or partition, what means clean install etc?

7. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #7 ofernandofilo, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. agodng

agodng MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    Hi, use Windows 10 (equipped with my computer), and after trying it for good for almost a year I find crap, it is a hybrid of system interfaces and full of spyware, I find the new features as cortana totally unnecessary, not to mention the modern style (copied to apple) I find it very ugly
    for that I wanted to a clean install windows 7 without unnecessary stuff

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&amp]If you do a clean install of Windows 7 and apply all the updates, you're likely to find the 7 you now have is not exactly like the 7 you last had a year ago. Windows 7 is not as saintly as to “spyware” as many believe. It may be “better” that 10, but well … Microsoft is Microsoft.[/FONT]

10. Hixster

Hixster MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    I upgraded my 8 year old custom desktop PC from Windows 7 home to Windows 10 home using WU on July 29th. Was concerned as to whether I would have any problems as I had originally activated with Daz loader v2.1, but none occurred and the update process went smoothly. I chose the custom installation...
    After a day of checking out many of 10’s newer features, I decided to use the ‘recovery option’ to revert back to Win7 from Win10. After the recovery, I received the black desktop background along with the dreaded “This copy of Windows is not genuine”. So, I disconnected from internet, used the cmd: slmgr -rearm, restarted my PC, re-activated 7 using v2.2 loader.
    Windows is now activated, genuine badge and all that… but I can’t help but feel this was way too easy. Everything appears to be working correctly, including Windows Update with the exception of no tray icon for updating to Windows 10.
    Did I make a misstep somewhere or did I just get lucky?

11. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
    What happened and what you did re daz loader again is normal.

12. Hixster

Hixster MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    Thank you for your assurance foo3495 :) Just couldn't help feeling "this was too easy". Thanks to all of MDL .

13. crazyodaz

crazyodaz MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2016
    #13 crazyodaz, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Ya know something? -- off topic or not, you have a valid point that allot do not understand, been working on a project that basically compiles everything for 7 (that is needed) onto 1-2 iso's and I mean EVERYTHING NEEDED that would last atleast another 5-10 years with very little update from m2 drivers to other various embeded rescue and PE / FE projects from all over,

windows 10 pissed me off when i tried to be in total control with clean install last winter, so many people got pissed at microsoft over this, like so many total "TRUST" was LOST, i dont think i could ever trust Microsoft like i used to -- especially with a "VIRTUAL CLOUD OPERATED SYSTEM" like Windows10 is, -- and dont get me wrong, i dont trust virtual box or VMWARE either, but i do have some control. anyways i rambling on again, helecopters are buzzing

I've been over here in Linux land the past 8 months, watching, everything microsoft is doing silently and openenly towards all operating systems, then revamping my newest project "TINTED WINDOWS" i sorta snuck back in here, saw your post, and wow. -- with comments like that, i've actually been considering a older release, maybe spring 2015 updates and nothing really further cept for serious ovious updates.

everybody is under the impression that "MICROSOFT GOTS UPDATES -- WE BETTER DO IT ALL, THE MORE UPDATES THE BETTER" -- and that is so not true, infact, if a computer has good firewall, and a well kept AV virus base going -- half these updates would not be needed in the first place.

take Windows XP for example -- one of the best OS's out there, only reason why it got nocked down was because of the better NTFS support and DIRECTX gaming -- people still out there using XP, making and modding other updates and service packs to this day

i strongly feel windows 7 is going to end up the same day, give it more time, give it few more years of updates, MS will break it, sorta like they been doing over this past year --- just cutting one artery at atime.

nope, sorry, will never trust MS again

Code:

14. markokk888

markokk888 MDL Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Yes, you will have that crap some of them are recommended anyways im working on a script to deal with all that s**t forever.
    Its a list for non friendly updates yeah non friendly lets just say that :D
    My personal list :

KB971033 - Update for Windows Activation Technologies (Checks whether Microsoft wants to deactivate your system)
    KB3035583 - Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
    KB3022345 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3080149 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3068708 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3075249 - Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
    KB3012973 - Force Trigger Auto Download and Install of Windows 10 Free Upgrade
    KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
    KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7 (Diagnostics for Win 10 compatibility)
    KB2976978 - Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
    KB3021917 - Diagnostics Telemetry for Win 10 performance compatibility
    KB2977759 - Diagnostics compatibility when installing Win 10 (Diagnostics for Win 10 compatibility)
    KB3044374 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
    KB3123862 - Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
    KB3081452 - August 27, 2015, compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10
    KB3081441 - Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10
    KB3081440 - Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10
    KB3074677 - Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10
    KB3046480 - Update helps to determine whether to migrate the .NET Framework 1.1 when you upgrade Windows 8.1 or Windows 7
    KB3090045 - Windows Update for reserved devices in Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1 that are upgrading to W10 from W8.1, 7 SP1
    KB3072318 - Update for Windows 8.1 OOBE to upgrade to Windows 10
    KB3081954 - Update adds telemetry points to Work Folders for Asimov telemetry pipeline in Win 7 SP 1
    KB3112336 - Additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and monitoring
    KB3095113 - Update to enable WSUS support for Windows 10 feature upgrades
    KB3150513 - May 2016 Compatibility Update for Windows configuration for compatibility diagnostics for Win 10
    KB3146449 - Updated Internet Explorer 11 capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 (Get Windows 10 update for MSIE)
    KB2922324 - Pulled, i uninstall it anyway if already installed
    KB3014460 - Upgrade for windows insider preview / upgrade to windows 10
    KB3015249 - Pulled, Upgrade that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
    KB3064683 - Windows 8.1 OOBE modifications to reserve Windows 10
    KB3081451 - August 27, 2015, compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10
    KB3081454 - September 8, 2015, compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10
    KB3081437 - August 18, 2015, compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10
    KB3081427 - Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10: August 5, 2015
    KB2976987 - Pulled, i uninstall it anyway if already installed
    KB3173040 - Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 end of free upgrade offer notification
    KB3163589 - "Your PC is running an outdated version of Windows" notification
    KB3068707 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

15. Mat Le Coop

Mat Le Coop MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2016
    Hi all.

I don't know if this has been mentioned on the forum before, but spybot recently brought out an 'anti beacon' to help block telemetry on windows 10, and since then they have brought out another one for windows 7, 8 and 8.1, visit their site and go to the safer networking download page for details.

Hope this helps.

16. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&amp]Not sure what you mean by "recently", but it's actually over a year old and hasn't been updated since some time in 2015. On their forum, one of the members who seems to be on the Spybot team thinks it'll be incorporated into the next version of Spybot S&D. He did say words to the effect he’d see about an earlier update for it but I haven't checked to see if one has been provided.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I’m using it on Windows 7 and 10 and it has it quirks but runs well as far as I can tell[/FONT]

17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #17 PhaseDoubt, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    [FONT=&amp]There's a lot of things in the world I don't trust, but still I have to interact with them considering my lifestyle: snakes in high grass, other drivers, all corporations, sadly my government and many more.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If I simply stopped interacting with every entity I don’t trust explicitly, well … I’d become a hermit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The secret I feel is to understand the “threat” and either live with it, mitigate it as best you can or go do something else entirely. I’ve tried them all and quite frankly, none of them work perfectly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]But I’ve come to understand, in my life, if I cease interaction with everything or everybody I don’t trust explicitly 100% … I wouldn’t interact with anybody or anything. As is the usual case, YMMV.

OK, no more hijacking .....
    [/FONT]