Windows 7 and Java

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by akritasge, Nov 3, 2009.

1. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    Are there any ideas about the necessity of installation Java Runtimes on a Windows 7 system?

2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Some sites needs java to run. I need it for online banking.

3. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    You need java runtime only if required by your application; otherwise no need to install in win7.

4. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    My question is due to a problem I faced with IE.
    After having installed Java Runtimes (version 6u16) IE became extremely slow.
    The problem ended when I removed Java from IE’s BHO (Browser Helper Object) Path.
    BHO (Browser Helper Object) are add-ons that give sum functions to IE.

5. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I dont use IE for more then 5 years, i am using firefox and i dont have such a problem.

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Agreed. FF doesn't have that issue. It's still superior to IE, for all I know...

7. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    To Michel and Genuine555

Fortunately or unfortunately, my friends, I am stuck with MS.

8. ennio

ennio Guest

MS is promoting DotNet, hence they will not support Java as they should.
    I had the same problems with IE, and not just with IE 8.

9. Dicehyden

Dicehyden MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    If java is essential for it. Just came to know soon coz i was going to play a game on dot3 using ie8 but as java wasn't installed on my windows 7 so i propmt to a msg to download java.

10. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    You mean that .NET Framework is MS’s equivalent for Java?

11. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Natively Java and Adobe Flash are not pre-installed on the Windows 7 platform. Microsoft has actually been pretty good at streamlining their installs so it doesn't install all the non-Microsoft programs on store bought installations. Usually, vendors such as Dell, HP and others will have Flash and Java pre-installed. Older versions of course that need to be upgraded probably whenever you buy a new PC.

I always recommend to people I know that if they buy a Laptop or Desktop with pre-installed Vista (now Windows 7) it's a waste of money due to all the bloatware. You would actually be saving a lot of money just making a custom desktop computer. Laptop I suppose you really have no choice but laptops seem to be inexpensive compared to some desktops these days.

Internet Explorer isn't that bad but just takes much longer to customize to get any features that Firefox provides through add-ons. It's quite sad really. Long ago I never used Firefox or even Opera and I never got viruses. But these days many non-legit flash ads are injecting viruses onto your computer without your knowledge. It's probably not as wide spread anymore. But it only takes one virus to steal your World of Warcraft account, credit card number or worse your social security number for us American folks.

Another reason I've personally chosen Firefox over other browsers.

12. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    To all of you that partcipated to this thread

After having red your posts, rather I come to the conclusion that it would be good for us Java to be inastalled in our computers as is needed from a quite large number of applications.

13. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    As you will dig in the archives of history - MS got sued by SUN that they included their own Java machine with IE hence they stopped bundling it.
    DotNET framework is not the same as Java (but it is a developers platform like Java is).

Oh, and Javascript is not the same as Java framework. Scripts should be natively supported by virtually any good browser without the need to install 3-rd party software.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. marcusj0015

marcusj0015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2009
    thanks thats the information i was missing i wasnt sure why MS got pissed off at sun now it makes sense and you answered one of my questions

but heres my second and last question

which was is javascript the smae thingas java becaseu there are js files included with adobe photoshop and that must mean that its either preinstalled by the user or is included with the OS thanks man ive learner something

now my second qusetion is: what is a java virtual machine

as i under stand a virtual machin is for OS virtulization hence theres no need for virtualization in a browser

so basically theres another type of virtual machine that i dont know of

15. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    May be you are right about IE’s security. But, for this reason MS, every now and then, provides us with Security Updates about IE and not only. Making things better.
    From the other hand, as the users of Fire Fox grow, grow the risks too.
    Moreover Fire Fox will not be for ever in the fire-proof state.

16. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Java and javascript are similar in how they look internally but the differences are big.
    Java is an actual object oriented programming language that creates java applets and stand alone programs usually a .JAR or .CLASS file which are ran within a Java Virtual Machine (SUN now calls it JRE)

Javascript is a text based language ( .js files) that is used within HTML to make things like text boxes, drop down menus, , buttons and other user interactive doo-dads on a webpage. These are client side scripting techniques.
    Javascript is also run on the actual web servers to facilitate user request and backend database connectivity. AKA server side scripting.
    Javascript can also be used for system administration duties and can be comparable to Vbscript.

A JVM or now JRE is basically an instruction set for a computer to use when a JAVA applet or program is executed. It takes those .jar and .class files and runs them thru an interpreter and outputs what the program was intended to do.

A java virtual machine has no relation to a virtual machine in regards to running an operating system.

There is a whole lot more to it but this is the jist of it. I am not a programmer by nature but write javascript and vbscript everyday so some of my verbiage may not be exact.

17. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Any idea, if silverlight is also necessary along with java runtime?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    With this i disagree,

You can always reinstall windows vista with a retail disc (if you have it or download one from the internet.) When you use the slic dump toolkit and extract the serial and slic information you can use it on your fresh install and activate vista.

Another thing, my recovery disc from my laptop asks me if i want to install all those programs.

Silverlight is a program that whas made to kill/replace Adobe Flashplayer, Microsoft failed in that

19. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    Very usefull information