Windows 7 and Language Packs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hexx0r, Jul 23, 2009.

1. hexx0r

hexx0r MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    I hope this post will be useful to people looking for language packs to apply to the latest leaked rtm builds.

Be advised: any LP wont change the "native" language of Windows 7.

Let's say you are Italian (as me) and you downloaded the en-US version of Windows 7 repacked from WZor and you are trying to install the Italian LP.
    -Windows Update will receive only English updates (Service Packs will be in English)
    -In case of any future Upgrade: if you want Ultimate instead of Home Premium, or upgrade to Windows 8(...) you have to install English versions or reinstall anything from scratch.

Conclusion: don't stress google or forums looking for your LP (most of them coming from older builds), just wait for your localized version or test Windows 7 en-US in a virtual machine.

Be aware of torrents saying "Windows 7 RTM Italian, Windows 7 RTM Spanish etc.." as of speaking there are only chinese, english and russian version.

Obviously this is just my opinion,

Ciao

2. BubuXP

BubuXP MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    E sticazzi nun c'ho metti?
    I mean... where's the problem?
    English updates will not change your GUI. Maybe service packs but there will be updated LP.

I remember that language packs are available only to Ultimate edition (and business or enterprise), so no problem changing between flavors.
    For upgrade to Win8 I think it's better reinstalling from scratch, but if one have to update, simply uninstall language packs, upgrade to Win8 and then reinstall new language packs.

When LP will be available, we'll know.
    I've tried build 7264 with italian LP and it looks like exactly an italian version (beside help files).
    For me it's only a matter of what italian version I'll get first (LP or full version).

I will only trust to iso images with SHA1 checksum equal to those published by Microsoft.
    If I will get english rtm I will search for italian rtm LP

I just exposed mine.
    Someone have other opinions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. solracna

solracna MDL Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Hi,
    Windows 7 (and Windows Vista) are language "agnostic".
    The core has no language.
    When you buy an English version you buy the "core" with English MUI (language pack) on top of it.
    You receive the English updates that are equal to the italian updates because they do not touch or modify the screen language, but the OS code itself.

Solracna

4. Shadoko

Shadoko MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    Right! And you can change the "native" language by installing a language pack into the dvd (-image).

5. hexx0r

hexx0r MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks for correcting me!

I was waiting ... for anything :D