Windows 7 and "Spying" (IMO Hogwash. What do you think?)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Michaela Joy, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Hi All,
    I have heard more than one member here talk about how Windows 7 "Spies" on others.

Personally, I think that's a load of garbage, and most people do not understand the difference between telemetry that can be turned off and actual spying on users.

I don't like Windows 10, nor do I use it, so I can't comment on it. I've seen enough things to make me not want to take part in the Windows 10 "experience".

For those who have chosen to do so, whether by want or need, I salute you, and I'm watching your work and experiences here closely. I'm willing to learn.

But I'm not too keen on having people claim that Windows 7 spies.

For those who think that Windows 7 "spies" on you, Please feel free to present your case. Don't forget to provide some kind of tangible evidence proving your point.

What say you all? Any proof? Disproof?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    As a true believer in science I demand proof. Sound and effective evidence for all claims.

3. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Mr.X: Than you for replying. I feel the same way. That's why I posted this thread.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    once you add kb3125574 you are adding telemetry components. if you use ntlite, you actually get to see Exactly what components are in there and what telemetry sending options there are.

you could find an updated list if which updates to avoid but you have to regularly, or you could use simplix pack which avoids those, so i hear.

i have heard that abbodi has a script for this, but i have not found it, a link to it would be nice.

5. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    download and run ntlite in free mode. you wont be able to access certain features, but you will see telemetry options in different sections, some CANNOT be disabled, but asimov telemetry can be removed.

download ALL updates from MS inc and from 3125574 onwards, integrate. run ntlite on the updated image to see what MS have slipped in there(re my "greasy finger" comment in another topic).

the sly buggers are still up to their old tricks despite their BS publicity "we are sorry etc" platitudes.

6. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @wazzock: Thanks for sharing the info.

7. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    in Components, you will find asimov telemmetry client and ceip, customer experience improvement program.

in Local Machine - Windows - Allow Telemetry, 4 options - security - basic - enhanced - full. there is no Disable.

hopefully removing asimov(or not using any telemetry updates) and ceip will stop 7 dialling home.

there is a catch though, for nuhi, simplix and others.

these things can only be removed/blocked/etc Once they have been identified. its a constant game of catch up for everyone.

best advice i can give on telemetry on any ms os, use linux if you are that worried.

8. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
  9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  10. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Blondi (j/k) read the first line in the post :D

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I know it is intended for 7/8.1 but frankly the title is a quite a bit misleading, don't you think so?
    I think abbodi1406 should reword the title.

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @oldsh_t: That statement implies that Windows 7 doesn't aggressively spy on the users, but needs to be "updated" in order for it to do so.

Is that the case?

13. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Prevent Windows 10 Type Telemetry on Win7 & Win8 Would be better I guess but that is totally up to abbodi1406 the master;)

14. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    The W10-Block.cmd will get updated by abbodi1406 if needed. To my knowledge he has updated that once already. Can't find the post of this that was posted in another thread, it may have been lost when a moderator account was compromised.

The W10-Uninstall.cmd Will have to be updated by the user themselves, but from what I see right now it is pretty much up to date as is.

The rest I don't use, and don't know.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  16. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Look I don't know whether there is or is not anything to worry about in Win7. I have to go by what people with more knowledge than myself say. There has just been tooooooo much out there since the free upgrade to Win10 came out that has made me distrust M$ on what ever they say and do. So I have to rely on some one and that some one for me is abbodi1406. He may be wrong and I may be wrong and ever one else out there may be wrong, but for me I would rater err on the side of caution and be wrong, than to just blindly trust M$ and be wrong.

I will stay wit Win7 until they stop supporting it and in the mean time I am working with Linux Mint trying to rap my head around that. When Win7 is done I will switch to Linux as my main system and dual boot with a clean, non updated Win7 that will not be on the Net.

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  18. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  19. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    ms would say that wouldnt they, but secure from whom eh?