Windows 7 and UEFI

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tistou77, Jun 9, 2012.

1. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Hello

I would like to install Windows 7 on UEFI, (to test and see if it's better)
    I used a patch (modified .dll) for not having the partition of 100MB, but with UEFI does not work,
    how to remove to install, this partition?

And I tried to create a partition, but impossible.
    And also, I saw an MSR partition is created, how to remove or prevent it from being created?

Thanks a lot

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    As far as i know, you can't install Win7 in EFI unless its on a GPT disk, and you can't make a GPT disk without the 2 hidden partitions. GPT at the very least (i know this 100% ) needs the hidden MSR partition. But, as _patrik_ noted, Windows loader won't work with GPT. My workaround was a modded bios.

3. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Correct, because BOOTMGR.EFI, as per the (U)EFI spec, goes on the EFI System Partition. And you only get one of those if your disk is GPT. :cool:

OK, we're going south here. Microsoft decided to invent this "Microsoft Reserved Partition" for whatever reason (I've had a cursory look around, and found nothing on what it actually does :confused:), and Windows (not GPT or (U)EFI) is the one who requires it.

Clarification added free of charge. The rest is correct - you only need the EFI System Partition if you intend to boot from the drive.

Correct, DWL can't "insert" itself the way it can on MBR, as the steps to boot are completely different in GPT. Though it can theoretically be done (writing your own EFI boot loader for Windows would do it... :idea:), it's well beyond the scope of Daz's Loader.

If my hard drive(s) was smaller than 2TB, I wouldn't go as far as Halikus's solution. Use Patrik (and Daz's) suggestion to format the disk back to MBR.

If you're larger than 2TB though (MBR can't handle any capacity over the 2TiB-512B line), you may have to BIOS mod, as Halikus suggests.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 HALIKUS, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    I believe the hidden 100 meg "Microsoft Reserved Partition" that Windows uses is primarily for Bitlocker drive encryption. I usually use the dll patch to avoid it, but started to use it recently in case Win8 requires it in RTM. It IS only 100 meg...

As far as "GPT on Windows at the very least (i know this 100% ) needs the hidden MSR partition.", i always forget about our Mac comrades :)

5. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    I just want to know if it's possible (during installation) to remove the partition of 100MB and partition "MSR"

Thanks

6. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Hmm... I seem to recall seeing the MSR on a Windows Server 2003 GPT data drive once upon a time, and that was long before BitLocker came along... more research needed. :voodoo:

Don't we all? :biggrin:

7. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #8 SuperBubble, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012