Windows 7 Beta 1 bug destroying mp3 files?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TR2N, Jan 4, 2009.

1. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Hello to all,

i have read on some websites, that in some cases mp3 files (the header) could be destroyed, when the WMP want´s to update some meta information of the file. Can someone confirm that? I have listened to some music when setting up Win7 Beta 1, but im am glad that i was offline and my files are in good condition. Microsoft wants to patch it before official releasing the Beta.

Has someone that problem, or is this "fake news" from M$ to stop leaking Betas with scarry news....?

Cheers,
    Nico

2. gringopig

gringopig MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2008
    Hmmm - that's interesting!!!

I recently spent 3 hours fixing My Music folder because I had lost permissions to this folder and all mp3 files contained within it: all after a botched library catalogue operation. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing though...

I boot XP/Vista64/Ubuntu and now W7 Beta 1. The folder in question is XP's My Music folder - part of My Documents, which I exported to the root of a RAID0 array for a reduction in access time and to keep all my documents on a separate drive for security.

What happened was that I allowed WMP in W7 to catalogue the My Music folder on this drive. It was only after booting back to XP that I noticed I had lost my access permissions for this folder alone on the RAID drive. Easily reset tho' after turning Simple File Sharing off and taking ownership back to the Administrators group in XP.

Could be unrelated - the files were healthy once I had re-established permissions for the whole drive and subfolders (including the one affected).

I've not had a particularly happy time - what with drivers being non-existent for W7 @ the mo. Got all working eventually...

:)

3. Drakie

Drakie MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    ya i too faced a similar prblem.Windows 7 is eating up my mp3 files.I dont know what it's doing but it is cutting down the files to some extent.
    For example if your mp3 file has a duration of abt 3.06 min then after playing it in wmp in win7,sometimes the clip length falls to somewhere around 3.00 min.This simply means that win 7 is eating the mp3 files.But this does not occur regularly.

5. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Just turn off the internet settings in media player............

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    or use something other than WMP. I personally use Foobar2000, it is small has a library feature so I can search through my collection (about 50gigs give or take), and supports everything from Flac, mp3, ape, and cue files.

7. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Thanks for this tip, I'm going to give it a try. Never was too happy w/WMP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Its really ok if you disable the two internet tick boxes in security tab :)

9. Drakie

Drakie MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2008
    I use grooveshark, HUGE library, and it aint taking up space on my hard drive :D

10. mazodude

mazodude MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I am using winamp as my default now, should my music collection be safe??:confused:

11. isosunrise

isosunrise MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2009
    I don't have a problem with my mp3's being edited in WMP, but I do have all WMP internet updates functions off.

12. Drakie

Drakie MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2008
    Yes it should be fine, i believe from what i have read it is a bug that is in affect when WMP attempts to add missing file info to you library, however i am not certain on that.
    But to answer your question, it is a bug in WMP, not all media players in Windows 7 :)