Windows 7 bug driving me bonkers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hazar, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi,

just wondering has anyone else observed that when they delete files in windows 7, windows keeps them there even though they no longer exist. as a result you cannot make another file of the same name, and the file that you deleted respwans with no icon. it is driving me nuts because in VS 2008 when I compile something, it tells me it cant because the file is in use. I have to move it to another folder and leave the one with the ghost files behin. I've gone through 10 different folders and its driving me INSANE!!!!!!!!!

HELP!

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  3. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I heard this elsewhere about windows 7, so don't think its a rootkit. WIll run a scan anyway

4. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Just tried it in Win 7 x86 RTM, and no problems whatsoever... I guess it's an issue on your pc due to some circumstances.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    The only time I've seen something like that was when I had a bad sector, didn't even know what was problem until after I ran CHKDSK. One reboot and many orphaned files later it was fixed.

6. ammarman

ammarman MDL Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This is happening to me too, a little refresh will solve the issue ;)

7. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I had this problem too and I can't remember for sure how I fixed it. I normally use an explorer replacement. I believe once I went into exprorer and deleted a file and then it was fixed. Just don't remember for sure.

8. PedrooNL

PedrooNL MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    No problem like that here.

9. sb18180

sb18180 MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    off topic i also have found a bug in windows 7.if you install a programme and rename the desktop icon shortcut,the desktop icon dissapears untill you reboot

10. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I also have some problems at home with roaming profiles with W7 Ultimate and my Windows server 2003 domain.

If you delete files they sometimes are left on the server (not deleted) and gives you errors with saving and loading the profile. Files just come back every time you log-on again.

I think it is somewhere a W7 bug and maybe releated to the issue in this thread.

It can be solved by restarting the server and deleting the profile on the server. If you are still logged on at W7 and log-off youre profile is newly saved again on the server without loss of data. Not nice, but it works.

On the other hand I love the speed of W7 compared to crapy Vista.

Applegate.

11. sarcoptic

sarcoptic MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    I had this problem not too long ago...running x64...windows explorer would not see the files but using command prompt would. Using command prompt I could then delete and remove the files/folders. Only happened once though...

12. sunfish

sunfish MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2007
    A reboot will always fix the problem!

13. usb2007

usb2007 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    faced the same problem..an icon remained in start menu even after deleting it..reboot and it was gone

14. swampThing

swampThing MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    #15 swampThing, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    Same problem here. If I wait for about 30 seconds and rebuild the project in VS2k8, it works again for a short while. This never happened in XP 64. Sometimes in Windows Explorer when I try to delete a file, it will say that the file is currently in use by another process when it shouldn't (or the file/folder just doesn't disappear).

// Windows 7 Ultimate x64

15. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Hmm...don't have this problem...am using x86 of Win 7 Ultimate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    @ Kota did you check out those wallpapers? BTW no issues here regarding files on either x64 or x86.

17. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    heres what i think is the problem, turn off UAC and restart and see if u get same errors.

remember while UAC is activated, u cant extract files to root from winrar, u cant save files there if ur downloading. thus that is the cause.

opening winrar as admin ables to extract though.

i stoped using root in all my work instead i make new folder in root and use that. works fine. or else just disable UAC

18. docdocdoc9

docdocdoc9 MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2008
    I had this bug in RC1 all the time, but it seems to be fixed in RTM... strange you guys are still having it.

The ghost files disappear after one or two minutes. Happens on both NTFS and FAT32 partitions, but not on network drives.

19. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I have had this happen once or twice.

A simple reboot always fixes it for me.