Windows 7 bugging me about activation for first time ever after over a year

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Holden von Vloppen, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    About a year ago, I took a no OS PC and installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it. This was a version of the OS that I acquired which is an internal Microsoft one that lets employees install any version of Win 7, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate, and either 32 or 64 bit. When you first boot to the disk, a menu comes up and offers you all the possible Windows 7 versions. Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed great and never asked for activation. The download had said it’s a never-activate version. It ran great, but after a while I got the “Not genuine Windows” BS. I searched the Internet for cracks and tried many that didn’t work. I tried a few loaders, none of which worked. I don’t remember if any of them were the Daz Loader or not. Finally, I found Remove WAT, which worked.

Recently, Microsoft’s update system kept pestering me to do a much of updates, which I kept postponing with the 4-hour option. I thought I had set Windows to not update without my permission. I was planning to pick and choose my updates and to avoid anything that might be Windows Genuine Advantage bulls**t. However, Windows did all the updates during the night without my consent.

Now for the first time ever, Win 7 is pestering me to activate. It says I have 24 days to do so. I’m wondering if Microsoft’s update system has caught up with Remove WAT. I checked and the Remove WAT file is still in the scripts. I’m not getting a “not genuine” message; I’m only being bugged to activate. Should I rerun Remove WAT or should I switch to the Daz Loader? I also saw the other option called DeathWAT.

I found the page on how to switch from Remove WAT to Daz Loader. It had a utility that gets rid of Remove WAT and then restores everything that Remove WAT has gotten rid of. Is that what I should run or have the Windows updates already restored all of that since I’m getting the activation pestering?

I have Acronis True Image and could great a Ghost of my OS and everything in case what I do f**ked up my OS.

What’s my best course of action?

2. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Its very odd that Windows update went on without your permission, I didn't even think that was possible. Are on SP1 ?

3. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    Yes, I'm in SP 1, and this cwrap has happened after installing that. My theory is that either SP 1 or an update after that somehow installed the activation module that this ver of Win 7 originally never had. I found this page and am thinking of following its instructions to uninstall Remove WAT and then migrate to the Daz Loader:

Annoying. I try to post the link and get this:
    If you want to find it, it's titled "Not genuine after KB971033 update? Read this!"

I'm hoping I've found the info that will fix this.

4. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    Okay, thanks. Here are the screenshots.

Attached Files:

6. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    Nice thumbnails. Could you post some that we can actually read?

7. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    They were readable when I made them. The attachment feature must have shrunk them. I'm just going to make enough posts so that I can post an image link.

8. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    Post #9. Uhg. 11 to go.

9. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    it looks like you don't have SLIC 2.1, only HP SLP, which is for XP.

What kind of PC do you have? did you build it yourself?

What's the make/model?

F.Y.I
    you can upload pics at TinyPic.com, then copy the Direct Link, and edit 'http' to 'hxxp' for posting until you hit 20 posts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    The computer is a debranded HP which I originally bought with no OS and put Linux on it. It has a sticker that says "Designed for Windows XP, compatible with Vista." It used to be a MediaCenter PC. I'm looking to see if they still left the model number on it somewhere. In the meantime, here are the screenshots now that I'm above 20 posts.

..... hang on, it's saying I only have 17. I thought I had 20.

11. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
  12. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
  13. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    An update. I'm posting this to benefit others who may go down this path. Turns out, running the newest Remove WAT that you linked to didn't offer an uninstall option, at least not running it as is. However, I found out how to uninstall it, and it would have worked with the version I already had. Remove WAT installs itself into this directory:

So what you do is you go to that directory and run the one that's installed there. Then it gives you the option to Restore WAT. I've done that and am moving on to the next steps. Share this info with others so that all who need it may benefit. Thanks for everyone's help.

14. Holden von Vloppen

May 16, 2010
    Success! I followed all your instructions to the letter. Now Windows is showing itself as activated. It has an OEM product ID now instead of the previous key code and request to activate within 23 days. Now I'm going to make an Acronis image of the system so that I have a fresh backup to fall back on if needed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

15. jo6nh

jo6nh MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2011
    Remove wat

Hi had the same problem, used remove wat and was working fine then along comes the updates and the activation within 23 days!!!!!!! Just used the remove wat 2.2 again which told me it was removed so I then used it AGAIN which has cleared my system and everything is once again fine with no reg details ## FANTASTIC ## :laie::laie: