Windows 7 cannot detect any internet connection

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MoloMowchow, Feb 6, 2011.

1. MoloMowchow

MoloMowchow MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2011
    I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit successfully and used the windows Loader successfully (at least I believe so)

But I have a problem. For some reason my computer cannot detect any internet connections at all! The network icon shows a red X and my internet (a modem with a wire) is not showing up in Network Settings.

I check to make sure the wire was plugged in, and it is but the light is flashing on and off very slowly. Upon checked my Device Manager I noticed that the Ethernet Controller is yellow with an exclamation point.

I'm very worried. how do I solve this problem?

I previously updated from Windows XP sp3

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    do you have the disk that came with the ether net card if so install it again, if not check what model and brand you have and see if you can down load the driver from another source and install it, i had the same problem i just needed the driver ! hope that helps

3. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    all you need is the driver, head to your pc/laptop manufacturer site, locate driver...

4. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    just go back to device manager and right click on the ethernet adapter and select uninstall, reboot the pc and it will find the driver, it should then work ok.

5. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    how is it going to find the driver if this is a fresh windows install? windows setup would've done all the hardware detect and attempted to install all the drivers it could already

since this system is more than likely not supported by the OEM nor did it come with 7, the best thing to do is determine what hardware it has by checking the manufacturer's website, then finding 7 drivers elsewhere. You cannot use XP drivers with 64-bit 7, but you can use vista 64-bit drivers in most cases

6. Howiedepot

Howiedepot MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2011
    This is a Drivers Issue try this

If you using a laptop try to get to your manufacturer website and donsload the driver for you Ethernet and Wifi card s (Windows 7 version)
    If not get vista and install it with compatibility

If you using a desktop and not sure about the model and stuff just pop out the case box and take a look at the motherboard and chipset and google for it drivers same as above

if this is the only computer you have go back to windows Xp and get your drivers before attempting to install OS7 again

Cheer,

7. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Very unnecessary to open the case to look at the chip. The PCI id strings from device manager is usually enough for you to search in google to figure out what it is and/or the drivers