Windows 7 checking for drive errors on Boot.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cheeriokilla, Nov 23, 2009.

1. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    The last couple of times I've booted up Windows 7, prior to launching the OS, It has felt the need to perform some sort of drive error checking task, and as far as I know, I haven't scheduled for any 'checking for errors' type-tasks for my hard drive.

What's going on?

Thanks in advanced.

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    This will normally happen if there is some issues with your hard drive. You may want to run some test on it and see what the issue is.

What brand HD is it?

3. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Western Digital.

4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I would grab there tool from there website and run it. Do you know the model?

5. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Yup.

Will do.

Thanks.

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Data corruption can also be the cause. Some broken data in the tree structure, or some corruption in system files that causes bad sectors. Those would be software errors and can be fixed.

Bad sectors through physical damage on the other hand would be not so good.

Does chkdsk at boot perform any fixes ? Would be good to know what it actually does when running at boot.

7. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Nope.

Never mind you guys, just found out that It has something to do with my AV (Avira AntiVir), Windows 7 is reading it as a 'dirty byte', at least that's what some of the people over Avira's forums said to me (including Admin's and Mods).

Just downloaded their newest Hot Fix.

Thanks for all the help! :)

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Damn bugs ! :D

9. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Can't catch a break with AV's... :D

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    While they cure the diseases, they infest your rig with bugs :rolleyes:
    Nature living in harmony :D

11. NoGoodNick

NoGoodNick MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    I always HATE those chkdsk autoruns. I've had them in the past, and the worst thing is, if you have a disk that has a bit of trouble seeing the right thing right off the bat, it manages to catch it and "corrects" the problem by erasing every file on your system (usually System files) that it thinks is naughty, which obviously results in a useless doorstop of an OS, just for a simple error which, were it not for chkdsk, would be fine.

Thinking of writing a blank, non-functioning version of chkdsk to replace the active one with so I don't run into this problem in the future!

P.S. I don't recall what problem occured that caused this to happen, but I've had it happen a couple of times over the years using multiple systems. Basically you have to sit there when it occurs and watch the system boot up cause if you leave it alone, it'll destroy your OS.

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    You can turn that feature off if you want.
    You could in xp, and I bet you still can in win7.

13. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Most of the time it results from a memory error - which results in the massive overreaction M$ have programmed in - the BSOD - and if you have files open at the time they can become corrupted and you get a chkdsk at restart which almost invariably destroys something if not your system -what are you supposed with the stuff Chkdsk returns anyway?

Surely M$ could do better than this - a slight hardware fault that happens rarely used to bring my old system crashing down - as if a slight memory error HAS to bring down the whole OS - it's a PC not a Bank mainframe.

I'd like to know how to turn off automatic chkdsk runs - I think in the past you could reset the bit that flagged the auto run but I could never get at it in Vista.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Thanks - learn something new everyday.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I have never had issues with chkdsk in fact it has saved my ass more than once on a corrupted file system. So disabling it to run on startup if it needs to is not a good idea. If Windows flags your drive as dirty then it is for a reason.

16. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yeah, but as mentioned, in many cases it is overdone. If u regularly perform a chkdsk yourself, it can be safely disabled. IF you chkdsk yourself now and then.
    Always had it disabled in xp, because back then it was WAY overdone, and it was bugging me all the time when nothing was actually going on, most of the time a dirty bit or inconsistencies in the tree structure.
    Nothing that could be solved in other manners.
    Don't reaaly know if in win7, the function is still that sensitive, but if it is, there are better means of preventing such errors.