Windows 7 clean install help needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by coolbuddy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    1. I have hp dv6 2174tx laptop which came with windows 7 home premium preinstalled with some hp bloatware. Then i upgraded to win 7 ultimate using anytime upgrade through cd key generator.
    2. Now i want to clean install win 7 home premium . Can i use my oem key(that is on the back of my laptop)to clean install win7 ( home premium) with a retail disc?
    3. Please help me with some procedures

2. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    i read different opinions on this. many say that you can use the coa key to activate, although I've never tried it. You can use your retail disk to install and then use a key and certificate from these forums to activate (OEM activation). If you're not comfortable doing it manually, you can download windows loader from these forums and it will install for you. Since you have a computer that came with win7, it will only install the key and cert to match the slic table in your bios.

3. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I want to format my 320 gb harddrive.how to partition it optimally.also please confirm me if the recovery discs in hand would work if the hp recovery partition is deleted.

4. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
    Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: AWESOME

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 0 F DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
    Volume 1 SYSTEM NTFS Partition 199 MB Healthy System
    Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 286 GB Healthy Boot
    Volume 3 D RECOVERY NTFS Partition 11 GB Healthy
    Volume 4 E HP_TOOLS FAT32 Partition 103 MB Healthy

well i tried ubuntu on dvd that may be shown in vol 0

5. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    i dont understand what you said. well i want one for os ,another for data and another for hp recovery(sorry iam not a computer techie)

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    then you just install on vol2= Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 286 GB Healthy Boot
    Then the system will keep a folder called wondows.old that will have old OS, u can delete afterward

7. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    will windows.old will have any impact on system performance how to delete it

8. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
    please remember if you do a clean install then you will not be able to use the recovery partition, as a clean install overwrites the mbr, where the recover partition starter is stored

9. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I am very clear. I want to clean install.now suggest me how to make partitions and where to install win 7 so that old files are not there(windows.old).Will that windows.old will have any impact on system performance if it is made to be there in the system.I dont want that one .

10. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Well you suggested that i can clean install win 7 without affecting hp recovery partition(2nd option you gave) but DAz999 says it is not possible.I am very confused.

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, it is possible to install Windows 7 without affecting the recovery partition; but then the recovery partition will become useless :doh:

So, after starting the installation, delete all partitions and then re-partition the hard disk as u want!!!

12. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I have a backup of hp drivers in my pen drive.In which order i have to install the drivers like for video,audio,etc or the system will find it.Since i have it in my pen drive, will the system detect it and install the drivers in the order it wishes.I dont know whether i should have my drivers in pen drive or dvd.

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, there is no particular order at all!! After installing Windows, install an antivirus and the plugin the pendrive. Afterwards start the installation of the drivers from top to bottom. Reboot as requested ;)

14. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    #15 coolbuddy, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    (OP)
    I have a doubt if the system doesnt detect my pen drive after installing windows, then how can i install the drivers.should i have a copy of them in a dvd. Sorry Tito if i am disturbing you too much( I dont know much about computers thats why i want to confirm these things)

15. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    U have options: u can back up your current drivers with a software like drivergenius or else that may be free, or u can just go to manufacturer's site and dowload from there.

And dont worry about the windows.old, that just just archive kind of , u can delete and has no impact on performance

wont be a problem as long as u have internet connection:D

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  17. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I have successfully clean installed Windows 7 Ultimate and activated it.Do i need to install the update KB971033.If i dont install it will there be any problems.If i do install it what will happen.

18. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. SupremeSabre

SupremeSabre MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2010
    how about those 'Malicious Software Removal' update? Are those necessary? THere's one of it every month. Anyone tested out the Aug one yet?