windows 7 COM & LPT Not showing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by black posse, Apr 21, 2013.

1. black posse

black posse MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2013
    Hello,
    M having acer M1935 runing windows 7 ultimate.
    From the device manager, Ports ( COM & LPT ) is not showing. Neither in the hidden devices. i have formatted the system and checked, not working. reset ed bios settings to default even. not working. what could be the problem?
    can how i fix this?

Regards

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Was there a time com & LPT ports were present or is this a new development? If it's new, what change, if any, did you make just prior to the problem showing up? Do you have a restore point or system image you can use to get you back to a properly functioning system?

Is this a new Windows 7 installation or is it Acer installed? Generally, if a device is not detected, it's either not present, damaged or the proper driver is not installed. Did you install drivers from the Acer support website?

Maybe there's a BIOS setting specifically related to com & LPT you need to reset.

You might try running the system file checker (sfc /scannow) and see if it detects any problems.

But if you "formatted the system and checked" (I assume that means you reformatted your HDD) and used the Acer disk(s) to restore Windows 7, I'd say the problem is external to the OS.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #3 LatinMcG, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    try booting a linux live usb and seeif it shows there.. doubt it will so its likely in bios

enable Legacy hardware?
    since parallel and serial are old legacy hardware.. windows 8 likely does not normally support it and bios is likely defaulted to windows 8 settings.

bios version starting with P01 is for linux or P11 = win8 type

4. black posse

black posse MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2013
    PhaseDoubt from the begging it self the com port is not working. i have formatted the system thought it would fix the issue, still its not working.

LatinMcG
    yes its enable.

any other way i can fix this?

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    have u actually checked rear of pc for the ports ?? these new systems dont have it

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That will be exactly what the problem is there are no LPT or com ports in the machine.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Aspire M1935 didn't has any COM (RS232) or LTP Ports any more, even no on Mainboard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. black posse

black posse MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2013
    thanks for the reply guys,
    i didst know before there are systems without com ports, so only option i have is to change my motherboard right?

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If your MB has an free PCI slot, use an PCI Card, that would work

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Also there special RS232 and LPT Cable available for the convert from USB to RS232 and LPT! That is an other solution.

11. black posse

black posse MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2013
    thanks pisthai, what m trying to add is partner tech pole display for retail pro, the pole display is a very critical device, example i installed the device to comport 3, and if i change it to comport 4, the pole display wont work. so my concern is will this work with usb to LPT converter?

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would say yes, because you could set the COM Port according to your need. Same applies for the LPT Address.

13. black posse

black posse MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2013
    thanks for the info pisthai, i will let you know once i check with LPT to usb converter.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You're most welcome!:D