Windows 7 Concurrent Remote Desktop Sessions Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by trekkers, Oct 19, 2009.

1. trekkers

trekkers MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    I'm having some odd issues with concurrent remote desktop under Windows 7. I've used it for years under XP with no problems.

I have the Concurrent_RDP_Win7_RTM_patcher.zip patch applied to allow for concurrent sessions. I'm using Win 7 64 bit Ultimate RTM, and an XP client (though I've tried a Win 7 client with same issue).

The issue is that some basic stuff on the remote connection stops working when another user is active on the console (at the PC itself). Things that don't work: playing videos (tried diff players, diff video formats) and Java in Firefox (for example E-Trade streaming quotes.) Essentially all of these things hang whenever a user logs into the console. As soon as they log off, or go inactive, all of the stuck programs resume.

Easy to reproduce for me. 1) Logon locally as a User A. 2) Logon remotely as User B. 3) From the remote connection attempt to open any video file. Windows Media player will open partially, and then it hangs. 4) Log off the local user, then the player plays the video on the remote connection. Very odd.

Note that if both users connect remotely concurrently, it works fine. The problem only happens with a user at the console.

Would very much appreciate if someone could try the steps above and report. Would even more appreciate if someone can figure out the issue. I've tried quite a few things already.

Thanks!

2. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I have reproduced the behavior, its probably a bug, or a DRM thing

3. trekkers

trekkers MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks for taking the time to reproduce it. It helps to know it's not just my setup that has the issue.

If it was just playing video the had a problem, it wouldn't bother me so much. It's also Java somehow as the E-Trade streaming quotes don't work either. When things hang, it degrades the entire system as the hung process seems to chew up CPU cycles like crazy.

I can't figure out what those two might have in common, and how simply having a user logged into the console would cause the issue. Maybe something with process priorities? Do console user get elevated priorities on some things?

4. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I also heard my CPU fan speed up, like their was a hung process.

so its probably a bug

5. trekkers

trekkers MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    Yeah, probably a bug, though not one we can really complain about since we're using the Terminal Services in a way that it wasn't meant to be used.

I'm leaning toward some sort of video card driver issue. I changed the driver for my NVIDIA 8400 to generic VGA, and everything works like it should. It's not a solution though since VGA doesn't quite cut it for the console resolution.

I've started playing with some of the NVIDIA video card driver settings, but no luck yet. Searching showed that some users of XP and Vista had some RDP issues (not the same as these though) when the NVIDIA hardware acceleration was enabled. Can't find that setting though in Win 7 yet.

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    You're probably discovering *why* the multiuser-RDP was removed from Win7 specifications. It was in there at one time, to allow a remote user and console user concurrently.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. pbb

pbb MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2010
    I had this problem also. All Java applications (including the control panel app) hung, Media Player 11 and MPC-HT hung when playing video, VLC did not hang but did not show any video either, and Live Photo Gallery hung when showing a picture. All while maxing out the CPU.

The culprit is Aero. Disable this for the local user (and possibly for remote users when using Win7's enhanced RDC) and everything works fine!

8. thereddog

thereddog MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2010
    I've tried to set up another user account with Aero disabled and logging into that one, but everything still locks up. It seems in order to run certain programs, Aero has to be completly disabled, which sucks.

Is there anything else I can try to get around this issue??

9. andygr

andygr MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Change video output to OpenGL and it does work. No black screen. CPU use is 50% on a 2.8 Core Duo but watchable.

10. thereddog

thereddog MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2010
    bump bump....

11. boomertsfx

boomertsfx MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    same issue here, can't run java stuff is most annoying for me. Also in firefox it pops up with a quicktime plugin warning in the background and will stall firefox until you click ok

12. thavmym

thavmym MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Suffering from the same issue. Can't run any java application in RDC while local user is active. It is interesting, when the local user has administrative rights java software in RDC works fine, but when local user has only user rights java applications cease working...

Does someone have explanation to the problem? This is the most annoying issue I experience...

PS
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 with all updates installed + termsvr patch. I tried to reproduce the problem on clean installation of Windows 7 but it still persists.

13. jukefox

jukefox MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2012
    #13 jukefox, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    I have the same problem with Vista. My workaround to this is to disabe the service Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (technical name uxsms). I think this means a switch from Aero Glass to Aero Basic which is much better than changing the whole theme to a non-aero one as described elsewhere. If you don't want to deactivate it permanently simple run the command sc stop uxsms as soon as an application hangs and sc start uxsms when closing that application.