Windows 7: Consider Replacing Your Battery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shadowstep, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
  2. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    It looks like you are one of those people who just keeps their notebook connected to the charger 24/7 which killed the battery very quickly.

A battery is manufactured to take like a 1000 charges or so before it dies.......overcharging a battery makes it reach that 1000 level much quicker than you would think.

I ALWAYS have my batter disconnected unless I am going out.

Time for a new battery buddy

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    10 parts thread for a dead battery?

How often do you change household rechargeables that you use daily (remember time of walkman?)
    After few months I suspect
    Computer batteries are the same (just bigger?)
    It has nothing to do with Win7 (just check BIOS battery page, it will tell you the same)

Just buy replacement (original or compatible from ebay) & you will be fine again

sebus

4. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    I used to do that earlier when I used to put big torrents up for download. When I found the effects of over-charging (and the info which you gave), I stopped doing that and used to let the battery discharge completely before putting in the charger. Guess it's coz of that only. :(

I did read about it a lot. Some people said that this same issue was resolved when they went back to Vista from 7. Other said it was solved once they updated their BIOS. That is why I thought it was a Windows related issue. Thanks anyway!

Okay. The battery info in the BIOS shows battery health as low. Guess it's time for a new battery. Thanks! :)

5. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Hi!

How shall I care of my laptop bettery if I use it mostly at home (24/7). I never heard of this issue. I see the battery is charging and after it reaches 100% it stops charhging and notebook is running at power cord. If battery slowly discharges reaches about 96% it starts charging again and so on and so on. Can I somehow instruct to start battery recharge at lower level so it won't absorb so many and so frequent short charging cycles?

6. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Thats what alot of people think is that the battery will stop charging after its full but me listening to that had me bust my brand new Sony Vaio's battery.

What all people should do is always have their battery fully charged then take it out of the laptop completely and just have the laptop hooked via the power cable.

That way you will never damager your battery and only need it when required.

Even if I go to a coffee shop I dont use my battery I just hook it up to the wall outlet in the coffee shop.

The only time you should use your battery is when there is no power where you're located or if you need to use your laptop as you're on the go.

Cmon there are many power outlets wherever we go these days

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I'll just add my anecdotal evidence that I leave the battery in and run my laptops 24x7. I've never experienced a substantial loss in capacity, even after 3 years.

Leaving the battery in will not "overcharge it". The problem is the heat from the running laptop accelerated the death of the battery. The other problem as noted above is Dell laptops refusing to recognize their batteries.

8. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    Is there a workaround if the system is not recognizing the battery?

9. newuser789

newuser789 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2013
    Consider Replacing Your Battery

Read this it may help you understand the problem
    pcsupport4.me.uk/2012/12/consider-replacing-your-battery.html
    Good Luck

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    That thread is two and a half years old. :confused: