Windows 7 Crash on install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jayzeewood, Feb 25, 2010.

1. jayzeewood

jayzeewood MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Ok so I had win 7 working fine on my rig untill I changed settings in bios and it all went wrong. Since then it has not worked. I have reset bios and everything. Formated C:\

When installing I get to the Starting windows screen and some times a little more but then it just crash's. I have left it for some time but still nothing. I have taken out everything but one HDD and DVD and still the same happens.

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    MEM: 2GB not sure buy who
    MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI
    HDD1: Maxtor 6YO80M0 80GB SATA
    HDD2: Samsung F3 1TB 32MB Cache SATA-II
    OPTICAL1: Samsung SH-S223C/RSMS 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer
    TFT: Samsung 22" 1680x1050
    KEYBOARD: Eclipse Multimedia Keyboard
    MOUSE: Logitech RX1000

2. straha

straha MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Did you turn on RAID in your bios? Possibly something with your SATA settings? I would start by disabling the RAID and disabling extended sata settings and see what it does. Not sure this will hep, but it's just a thought.

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    If what Straha said does not help you then try to get a newer bios. My friends computer did the same thing and all we needed to do was to update the bios.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jayzeewood

jayzeewood MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    its all off set to basic bios gone though every thing I think head and wall come to mind :(

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Have you reset the CMOS? You will have to remove the motherboard battery for like 1 hour but that will reset everything. Maybe even downgrading the bios. Sometimes bios updates give you more problems cause they have different bugs in them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    You can't change the SATA mode once Windows is installed, its not just RAID than can be a problem, its the compatible mode which was useful years ago when SATA first came out, when installing the original XP, but now it should never be used! Unless you have a RAID system AHCI mode should always be used, as compatible mode disables some performance features of SATA.

Whichever its set to at the moment, try changing it and see if it helps. If it is compatible mode that works, try moving off all the files you want to keep then to a complete reinstall in AHCI mode :)

7. jayzeewood

jayzeewood MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Done the CMOS and the AHCI am now looking for the BIOS update is it bets to place this on disk or USB or on c drive????

8. jayzeewood

jayzeewood MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    I have got XP to install but have none of the drivers for the mobo installing them via the web I got this far (1) copying files - 100% - Ok) earlyer but then it crashed again screen goes all bitty???

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    To flash your bios it really depends on your specific mobo because they all have different means of flashing. Most likely a Floppy driver with Afudos or a cd with the same and the bios file. Also with your screen going black does it say anything? It might be a problem with your video card too. Kinda a different problem but I flashed my nvidia graphics card with a newer bios revision and I was able to get the RAM that it took because of a bug so you never know these days. Maybe even something like a virus messed some bios thing up too cause I know that can happen.

10. jayzeewood

jayzeewood MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Using the onboard VGA and it works fine in XP so thats ok still cant find the latest bios for this MOBO. Plus I have never updated my BIOS befor So really scared on doing it. I might get hold of a copy of Vista as it is going to be the misses PC as I am upgradeing to a I3 rig soon I just need to get this working and stable as it will be for her office.

11. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    sounds like the ahci settings to me

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    @jayzeewood, if XP is now working when you said it was not before. That tells me that it is your video card that making your pc freeze. Probably either a bad card or a bad bios inside that card that is messing you up. I would try reinstalling windows 7 with the onboard VGA card. If that works then you will know for sure that it is your other vid card that is giving you problems. It could have been the AHCI too though

13. jayzeewood

jayzeewood MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    Ok Ok a bad bit of info on my part. Try again.

I have got XP working fine just missing a load of drivers that I am downloading.
    When I try and install win7 it gets to the part just befor the install screen and crash's and screen goes funny.
    So all in all XP=fine (30days to activate)

Win 7 not installing with RAID AHCI or IDE settings in BIOS????

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Did you check here for the bios in the bios mod section? Maybe one is already done for you. They have a lot of them there:)

15. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  16. jayzeewood

jayzeewood MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    #16 jayzeewood, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    (OP)
    Ok So I have ver.2302 have changed to AHCI in BIOS boot from Disk still crashing out just after I select region. when I see Setup Is Starting

Am downloading the ISO from time surfers post the 32-bit one. Will try that one once downloaded.

If any one has the same modo and win 7 maybe you could post all the settings so I can copy them to see if I can get it working.