Windows 7 DELL Reintall DVD - Are these legitimate?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tupee, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Tupee

Tupee MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2013
    I have purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate Reinstall DVD by DELL from eBay, because I have a DELL laptop, and didn't receive any disc with it, I only have a sticker on the bottom of the machine.

When it arrived, I noticed it doesn't have any hologram on the disc, unlike the regular Windows 7 installers, moreover it was sealed with a large white rectangular stamp when it arrived, that has some codes written on it, and the notification: "Made in China". On the Disc, you can see the "Made in China" notification printed on the edge of the innner hole of the disc, too, if you hold it properly under light.

I wonder if these discs are legitimate discs, produced by DELL, or these are just DVDs printed by some hackers in China to steal personal information from your machine? I saw some listing on eBay selling these discs with "Made in Germany" notification on them. Maybe only those are legitimate?

I worry about using these with my machine.

Here is a picture of the DVD I received, I didn't take this photo, but mine looks exactly the same:

oemby.com/images/2012/08/13/ult%2064bit%20china.jpg

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Probably a Dell disk...They are not fancy with hologram usually just look like that.

3. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Yes, that is a legit Dell recovery disc.

4. Proxus01

Proxus01 MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2013
    Yup only works on a dell motherboard too

5. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Yep, It looks like the real deal. I have enough of these type of disk from to tell that this one is legit.
    Though, most the disk I have from dell is Windows XP and Windows Vista. Which are pretty good if you have a dell motherboard.

6. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Those disks will work on any machine not just Dells. If it is a non Dell machine you just have to activate it with the serial from the sticker on the side of your machine..The Dell machines auto activate.

7. Tupee

Tupee MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2013
    That sounds good, maybe I can use it later too if I buy a new computer.

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes, that is original Dell disk (have plenty of them)