windows 7 dirty install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jmacie, Oct 27, 2012.

1. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I want to install win7 on top of a corrupted windows install. I used sfc /scannow, and could not repair all files. I also tried to determine from CBT log files, but could not figure out my problems. I read somewhere here someone describing a reg hack to allow a dirty install of win7 onto win7, but I searched and can't find it again. Thanks for any info!

2. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    hi, im not sure i've understood... but try to format your hdd

3. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    thanks, no. What I want to do is install Win7 ontop of a previous win7 install. It's called a dirty install. It was common in winxp, but requires some registry hack to allow the install on top in Win7. I read the hack a while back, here on MDL, and now I can't find it.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Thank you, urie, but, what I want to do is install on top, not parallel, no windows old folder. Thanks anyway! When I find the "Dirty Install" hack, I'll report back.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Believe me it will be a while before you report back only method is the given on the link I posted after installation all your files and installed software will be intact. You may be thinking of registry edit where you change windows version so you can go from say enterprise to ultimate that is completely different thing.