Windows 7 Display Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by VinnyB, Aug 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. VinnyB

VinnyB MDL Novice

May 17, 2010
    I am coming to Windows 7 from Vista 64bit Ultimate. On Vista I was able to get aero enabled and my system scored a 4.7 on the winsat tests. When I did a clean install and went to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, my aero doesn't want to initiate. I also cannot complete my winsat test because when it gets to hard disk it says could not measure storage performance.

I put in the latest drivers form nvidia's website and I got aero for a few seconds at start up only for it to change back to basic. I have tried forcing aero with those registry edits. I have also tried the troubleshooting transparency and aero effects and it gives me aero for a sec then goes back to basic. The problem it lists is the Desktop Windows Manager to be disabled. I have tried stopping and restarting the Desktop Windows Manager but it only does the same thing as the troubleshooter. I have also tried putting it to high performance in power options and setting it to best visuals but no dice.

My system:
    XPS 200 w/ pentium D 2.8ghz with an upgraded 9500GT and 2GB RAM

This was just cleanly installed so application compatibility problems is not likely. I have done all windows updates.

Thanks for reading! The help is greatly appreciated!

2. VinnyB

VinnyB MDL Novice

May 17, 2010
    Bump! Any ideas?

3. arismfg

arismfg MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2009
    smells like a gpu drivers conflict. dell doesnt have windows 7 drivers for your gpu-system? if yes use those and not the windows update ones. in any case clean display drivers and try once with dell-nvidia drivers and once with windows update drivers. dont forget to clean registry after every uninstall using apps like ccleaner and 1 click cleaner of windows 7 manager

4. VinnyB

VinnyB MDL Novice

May 17, 2010
    No, this is a 5 year old machine with an upgraded graphics card. It originally came with a POS X600 I believe. The drivers I am using are straight from Nvidia's website and the latest ones. I don't have many apps at the moment since I just clean installed and this occurred straight after I got to the the desktop for the first time.

I looked at Event Viewer and saw this:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Desktop Window Manager
    Date: 8/20/2010 5:39:01 PM
    Event ID: 9020
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898009b)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="htt p://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Desktop Window Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">9020</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-20T21:39:01.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1113</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer></Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>0x8898009b</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

then this

Log Name: Application
    Source: Desktop Window Manager
    Date: 8/20/2010 5:39:02 PM
    Event ID: 9009
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x8898009b)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="htt p://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Desktop Window Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">9009</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-20T21:39:02.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1114</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer></Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>0x8898009b</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    (Took out pc name and had to make a space in http because my post count is not high enough)

and looking at the service in services it is set that if it fails to restart and do this the second time also then if it happens a third time to do nothing. So what happens is for some reason it fails and gets restarted giving me basic for a split second then going back to aero then doing the same thing then stopping and staying in basic mode until I start the system again.

5. VinnyB

VinnyB MDL Novice

May 17, 2010
    Bump! Any ideas?

6. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    copied from another forum ......
    hi all, had the same exact problem with Aero starting running for a second then screen flashed and service quit with error (0x8898009b)
    and then of couse is not running so aero troubleshooter thinking dwm is disabled but its not.
    Microsoft put out a statement that after looking at the issue it is caused by a glitch between windows 7 OS and some manufacturers motherboards with nvidia/ati chipset and have S3 power management. SO ... What I did to fix it :

Disable windows desktop manager service
    Restart
    BIOS --> change power management so that S3 is DISABLED! Only allow S1 (POS) power mode or all OFF
    Restart
    Windows loads and ACPI notices hardware changes, allow reboot
    Restart
    Start up cmd.exe as Administrator and type in the following
    sc config uxsms start= auto
    net start uxsms
    BINGO --> aero is running and stable should never halt now..

this problem is rife on the internet affecting many computers ,you only have to google that error code to find out .the above method is supposed to work OK according to a few .
    good luck.

7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    if jabberwocky's tip does not help, I would try reinstalling win7 Ultimate x64 to see if that helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. VinnyB

VinnyB MDL Novice

May 17, 2010
    I actually saw that on another forum and gave it a try and it didn't work. I put it to S1 since my bios doesn't allow to me shut it off completely.

I have reinstalled Windows many times because of this and the same issue occurs.

Maybe I need to get a Windows 7 compatible BIOS made for my machine? That's the only thing I can think of.

9. VinnyB

VinnyB MDL Novice

May 17, 2010
    #9 VinnyB, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    (OP)
    I called EVGA and they said it could be a BIOS or north/southbridge incompatibility issue. It seems plausible to me. Although after I installed some file from Intel's website for the 945g chispet, it takes longer for aero to crash.