Windows 7 Drivers: Official nVidia or Windows Update?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Antigen, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Antigen

Antigen MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Dear Forumers!

I have a question :)

It's better that I use the driver that Windows update find or is better the drivers of the producers and most updated?

An example:

- nVidia GPU: Windows Update find a driver most update, it's better use it or it's better use the official drivers that I can find on nVidia web site

- Creative Audigy: Windows Update installed a WDM driver, now on Creative labs support site, I have see a most update drivers. What is the better solution?

- Intel GMA 945 Graphic: on Windows update there is version... on intel website there is another, what is the best solution?

In conclusion:

- it's better that I will use the official drivers made from the hardware maker or it' better that I use the Windows Update drivers?

Thanks

2. 1234s282

1234s282 MDL Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Ive found in the past its always best getting the latest possible drivers from the manufacturers website and ignoring the Windows Update ones.

3. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I would be interested in your opinions on this as well.

Generally I tend to use the Windows Update drivers wherever possible, and that usually works excellent.

No bundled junk from HP, Dell or whatever. Though, as 1234s282 said, the drivers provided by the hardware manufacturers themselves are usually good stuff ;)

4. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Windows drivers if you don't game....drivers from Nvidia usually have extra services attached but are better for gaming. Just my opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I would say that any computer running ATI or Nvidia should get the drivers from the company's site but for things like Intel it does not matter. WU intel driver updates have the software that would come from the version that you get from Intel's site.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...