Windows 7 Firewall - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gonzakpo, Aug 28, 2009.

?

Is it good enough for a home computer?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. No way

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, I just want to know what's your opinion about the built in firewall in Windows 7. Is it really good enough for a home computer?. Currently I'm using Eset Smart Security and it works brilliantly but, if you tell me that the Windows Firewall is better than the Eset one I could start using just Eset NOD32 instead of Eset Smart Security.

So...whats your take on this?.

2. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Windows Firewall + Good antivirus = Good protection
    However, ESET SS firewall is superior. I wouldn't switch it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm sticking with the Windows 7 firewall. Most if not all routers these days have some form of a firewall built in for attacks and that kind of thing too. On Windows XP I didn't have any kind of firewall even enabled and I have never had any issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    windows firewall all the way

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    windows firewall by default only blocks inbound connections. You have to use windows firewall with adv security for both. Eset is easier to configure, but you also have to pay for it.

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    That was the XP firewall, I think both Vista and Windows 7 block inbound and outbound. It's much more advanced too ;)

7. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #7 twiz, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    I've had no issues with Windows Firewall...even if it's a little bit clumsy to configure properly.
    It's more basic than a standalone firewall -- like Comodo for example -- but that is both a pro and a con...

The question you asked is kind of a loaded one, as the saying goes... "Good enough never is".
    Sure Windows Firewall work, and does what you need it to do... but there IS better and people SHOULD use better.
    Though if you're not all that tech savvy, and setting up a firewall properly can be a bit of a daunting task, it's better than nothing.

8. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    As previously mentioned, if you're sitting behind a typical home connection with a router, the router (and NAT) will afford excellent protection already. Thus Win7 firewall is more than sufficient. However, if you are going to be using your computer for frequent travel and lots of public places (e.g. hotspots, college campuses) you probably want a more capable firewall.

9. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes, maybe you hit the right spot. So maybe for my desktop is enough but not for my laptop.

10. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Maybe it is enough but I still don't feel safe behind it. I would love to read some kind of review (or test) of it to see how it compares to other comercial firewalls.

11. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    He is right it is more than enough protection for laptops and desktop as they are not connected 24/7.
    Any additional programs only serves to waste system resources.