Windows 7 Floppy Drive problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ciscokid, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    #1 ciscokid, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    I know floppy drives are as outdated a Bill Gates' hairdo, but I'm having a problem with a floppy drive on my Win7 system.

First of all, it reads fine but refuses to format a disk. When I installed Vista on the computer, the floppy runs fine, formats and everything, with Win 7, it either tells me bad disk or just refuses to format the disk at all. I have tried formatting using both Command Prompt and thru My Computer.

If I try a Quick format, it does it fine but I can't make an MS-DOS bootable floppy. With Windows Vista, I don't have any of these problems. I've tried different floppy drives and they have the same error. The funny thing is my other computer, which also has Win7 has the same exact problem, Vista is fine on that one as well.

This is frustrating, I still use the floppies a lot, hopefully I don't have to stay with Vista just because of the floppy drive situation.

I've done Google searches, nothing turns up. I have a Gigabyte MA780G-DS3H motherboard and I modded the bios with HP Slic 2.1 using the 0+2 method with Andy's tool. SSV3 gives me memory errors for some reason.

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, it sounds like 1 of 2 different reasons why you are having this issue. It could either be that you do not have a floppy drive driver compatable with windows 7 or your floppy drives/floppies are having problems. If this is a USE Floppy Drive then it is a windows 7 issue. Check google if you can find more info mate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    My Win7 can do a "Create an MS-DOS Boot Disk" just fine on a floppy.

I am using one of those Mitsumi AIO Floppy/Multi-Card Reader - USB2.0 device thigamajigs.

Surprisingly Win7 had built in drivers for it. LOL :eek:

Sounds like a hardware issue for you then.

4. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Mine is win 7 x64 and don't have any problem with floppy drives, seems that it is only your problem and nothing to do with win 7.:confused::confused::confused:

Edit: mine is an internal floppy drive.

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    nice point dude. I really was not sure I just found a site that had someone talking about External USB Floppy Drives. In that case it is either something wrong with his hardware or his diskettes then, nice save ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    1) Is the floppy set to 1.44 in the bios?
    2) Fdd controller turned ON (in the bios)?
    3) Perhaps it's an issue with the modded bios. Try flashing back to a unmodded bios for testing...

7. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    It's possible it could be the modded bios, I don't think it's either the floppy drives or the disks themselves, both work fine in other machines and under other OS'es. It's an internal floppy connected to the mb by the way.

I modded the bios using Andy's tool and chose the 0+2 option because I was getting memory errors with SSV3. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll flash the bios using the unmodified version off of Gigabyte's website. If that works, then we know it's the mod. I seriously doubt it's the hardware or the floppies. In that case, I'll try the SSV3 option again using the latest version of the tool and post the results.

8. RickSteele

RickSteele MDL Addicted

Nov 12, 2009
    The only option in any BIOS I have been running in the last few years is to enable legacy USB support (vs Auto); and I do not have a modded BIOS, yet, I do have the USB floppy issues.

9. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    My BIOS (Biostar board) has two places you can enable/disable the floppy drive from. One is on the main/initial screen where you select your floppy drive (which i'm sure you have enabled), and in another location in the bios (second or third 'tab' I think) you can enable/disable the floppy controller. Maybe check for that and see if you have that option as well.