Windows 7 - Folder Permissions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Carel, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I recently tried to install MSE x64 on Windows 7 x64 & every time I click on Validate (just before the install is supposed to start), then MSE closes & Windows tells me MSE has stopped responding & I should close it. I have determined that the cause of the problem is my folder permissions. Most of my folders, like Users, AppData, ProgramData have a little golden slot over them. These little slots have appeared just after I shared my Hard Drive to my other PC & the same thing happend there, after I created a HomeGroup & shared folders, they become "Protected" & most programs can't access them. This means that I cannot install certain programs... Such as MSE. So, how the heck do I reverse this folder access protection? This is the cause of my problem & it happens everytime I share folders / drives over my home network. Or is there any other way I can own all of these folders (it'll be a big job to take ownership of each of them)?

2. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Hmm the exact same thing happens with removewat for some reason.

3. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    hmm, what exactly do you mean by saying that RemoveWAT does the same thing? You mean that it happens after RemoveWAT have been used?

4. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    #4 Carel, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    (OP)
    Oh, and if you take ownersip of all folders (users, windows, programdata, etc.) on windows 7 x86 - then all remote services stops working. No connections can thus be made anymore, unless you format and reinstall everything... Why?