Windows 7 freezing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arka, Apr 6, 2010.

1. arka

arka MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    Hi!

Been running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit for about a month now, clean install with bios mod on an Acer Timeline laptop. A couple of times a week I experience that Win freezes up, most of the times I can still move the mouse pointer but nothing else. Usually the computer comes back to life after a couple of minutes, but now and then I will have to do a hard reset to bring it back.

Any suggestions for finding out what causes these hang-ups?

cheers /Arka

2. nebulosys

nebulosys MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    if you have auto-hide option enabled for the taskbar disable it

3. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    If it's not the problem of hardware, so I suggest you to reinstall your Windows and see whether the problem is solved or not.

It takes you less than a quarter of an hour, I think this would be better than waiting for an answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    I've had problems just like that in Win 7 before -- in my case it was an unsuited Network card driver that made the system unstable. Also please check your Chipset and Graphics drivers, as these can mess you up too. In one setup I had continuous problems while testing Win 7, I would have constant display crashes. In the end I finally figured out it was the memory -- I put different sticks of RAM (ddr2 800 instead of the 1066 in there) and I have not had 1 display crash in months... But when running XP before that, the 1066 ddr never gave me any problem. So just goes to show you there can be many things wrong in different systems. But a reinstall is always good because it will help you reduce possibilities. Before you do though, you may try to find the most recent drivers for your hardware and see if installing them helps any.

5. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I've also had some freezing issues with Ultimate on my Shuttle w/AMD Phenom.
    In my case- it's Explorer itself that causes the problem.... When I open Explorer and explore a folder it will occasionally hang- the green progress bar just slowly makes it's way from the left to the right without ever bringing up the new folder or displaying the properties of the file I was looking at. When this happens I Ctl-Alt-Del, when task manager finally comes up (sometimes 2-5 min later) it shows Explorer using 100% CPU from all four cores. I can kill the process then restart Explorer from the Run box and all is good again.
    It only happens occasionally, but it seems to happen more often when there's media files in the folders I'm browsing. I've set the folder properties to "General" but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
    I'm running the latest BIOS from Shuttle, current drivers and a 100% clean Win7 install with no hacks. I've already re-installed Windows twice with the same results, three other computers in the house run Win7 with no problems whatsoever, just this one Shuttle barebones.

6. Elle233

Elle233 MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Yeah, re-installation a good idea, but do I hear you say reinstall takes less than a quarter of an hour (15mins)? That's hilarious!

7. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    it takes me less than 30 minutes.. to do a clean install and get back online ...
    i do clean installs atleast twice a month ..
    i have all of my data on D drive ..
    and i install software as i need it ..

you may ask .. why?
    because i like the performance.. it's like driving a brand new car ..
    plus.. i deal a lot with WAREZ .. and you can never be too safe..

you can do what you want
    Different Strokes for Different Folks :)

8. briand069

briand069 MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2010
    This was my problem.

9. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. brasil

brasil MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2008
    if you had upgraded your Bios to newer version...then thats why...go back to original version (downgrade)..

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That would probably not make it freeze dude! Bios updates are to fix problems, not create them. Now if you mean because he forgot to change a setting in his bios after he flashed that he changed before he flashed then yes this could cause freezing but usually when it freezes all the time it is either because of something to do with windows itself, a driver that is bad, or a hardware issue. Usually not a bios issue(Usually). It is possible though that it could be his bios but I would doubt that updating a bios would really cause that much issues unless it did not flash correctly or something like that.

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That is about the same for me with installing win7 from a CD and 15 minutes from a USB lol. Why do you reinstall like twice a month though? Boredom? Usually if you don't install a piece of software that lags computers in general it does not mean you have to reinstall win7 fresh every 2 weeks to keep the performance up. Just get something like system mechanic or TuneUP 2010 for your computer and you will notice a difference in performance lol. BTW I like your wierd licking toilet. What is that something that likes licking people when they sit on it lol ROFL :)

13. kristain

kristain MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    Follow the instructions in order to get rid of Windows 7 freezes issue:
    You should run fewer programs at a time.
    Update your drivers.
    clean the registry of corrupted files.
    Do a scan of your computer with a top flight registry repair program.

14. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Explorer "freezing" for a period of time can be related to a hard disk problem - either bad sectors or the drive is "old and tired".

Slow spin up from rest is usual for a failing or faulty drive.

I'd get hold of a disk diagnostic program to eliminate or confirm hard disk problems - if a problem fix it while you can.

PS - even new disks can have a problem like my 13 month old terabyte Seagate which has some problems - after warranty period expired of course - do they build these failures in with a time frame which just exceeds any warranty period ?

15. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010