Windows 7 games deleted by build 10586 update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xtcrefugee, Nov 13, 2015.

1. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    Sorry if this has been mentioned here already, but I've just noticed this. IIRC MS mentioned that Windows 10 could remove "unauthorised" software before, and it looks like it's now happening. I've just confirmed on two systems (both x86, one home, one pro) that the build 10586 update will delete the MS Windows 7 games (Solitaire, Minesweeper, etc.) if you've previously added them. On one system the executables were replaced with 0 byte files, on the other they were deleted outright.

This is crossing a line as far as I'm concerned, and very troubling behaviour from MS.

2. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Deleting Solitaire is crossing the line ? :D

3. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I think they want you to buy Solitaire of the Microsoft Store so they deleted the version you installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bob7946

bob7946 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2012
    #4 bob7946, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    This program reinstalls ok (good quality products on MDL!)
    h t t p://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/56428-Windows-7-Games-for-Windows-8-8-1-Multilanguage
    and they generously left my game statistics behind. They took the games off when I upgraded from Windows 7, so I suppose I can live with reinstalling them if they want to remove them at every major upgrade.

5. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Addicted

Mar 15, 2011
    Same here but reinstalled and problem solved.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    Deleting software without the user's consent is crossing the line. There's no justifiable way they can claim this was part of the build update.

7. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    #7 xtcrefugee, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    (OP)
    That's shocking behaviour, and quite possibly against the law in the EU. It's tampering with data without consent. I don't recall ever agreeing to an EULA that required me to only use those games on that version of Windows.

8. bob7946

bob7946 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2012
    But ................. this isn't "software": it is an integral part of the Windows 7 operating system. Upgrades usually remove all the old operating system files. I think that's the idea.

9. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    This was an update of one build to another, not a change of OS. I can't see how the claim could possibly be made that deleting those files had anything to do with the change of build. The games were also included in Vista, so the claim that they're integral to 7 doesn't hold much weight either.

10. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    LOL, isn't everything against the law in the EU! Also, it IS with your consent. You upgraded, right?

11. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    #11 xtcrefugee, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    (OP)
    At no point did the upgrade ask for permission to delete programs that have nothing to do with the previous Windows 10 build, therefore there was no consent. Giving consent for an upgrade is not the same as saying "delete whatever you like".

I'm kind of surprised that nobody here apparently has a problem with this behaviour? Everyone's up in arms about telemetry and spying, but actual files are deleted without your permission and that's no big deal?

12. bob7946

bob7946 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2012
    If you look at the file properties, you will see they are described as:
    Product name - Microsoft Windows Operating System
    Product version - 6.1.7600.16385 (same as Windows 7)
    Copyright - Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

How, technically, could they have upgraded the operating system without removing ALL the files from earlier operating systems?

13. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    Come on, that's stretching the truth. Removing programs, even if they're "from Windows 7", can't possibly have anything to do with updating between two Windows 10 builds.

14. zaphod77

zaphod77 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2014
    MS deletes their old software so you will be forced into their new version which has ads unless you pay. They won't delete non microsoft games. they'd get sued.

Worse is TH2 uninstalls many system monitoring and anti-malware products. supposedly this is to prevent update failures. you may reinstall them after the update.

15. ~Yoshi

~Yoshi MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2011
    You weren't even supposed to install Windows 7 components on an unsupported OS. So it's definitely you who's wrong. Blaming the manufacturer who tells you that you can't temper with system files is outright wrong.

16. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    #16 xtcrefugee, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    (OP)
    Wow, there are so many MS fanboys here wanting to rush to their defence! How in the world is restoring a game from an earlier version of the OS "tampering with system files"? Show me where it says MS has the right to prevent me from installing them on Windows 10.

@zaphod77 I suspect they'd use the same justification if challenged on this, claiming the installer automatically removes anything it thinks is associated with something prior to the current build. Maybe the installer is that dumb and can't distinguish between a build update and an OS upgrade, but that seems kind of unlikely.

17. SlompOchomp

SlompOchomp MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2012
    #17 SlompOchomp, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    I hear ya, once it resides on my system it's game on to tear it up, dig into it and do as I so please. It's my :poop: now. And yes I want my Win3.1 games back.
    Truth is the games were originally put into windows to help people get familiar with using a mouse back in the day and at this point it's not needed anymore, so if you want a game go DL one.

18. bob7946

bob7946 MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2012
    I didn't notice anything missing apart from the Win 7 Games and everything including Kaspersky on two machines and Avast on a third seems to be working perfectly. What else did TH2 uninstall?

19. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    The "compatibility manager" will remove the stuff it's programmed to remove when you install a new version. For instance, for some reason I can't fathom, every Win10 build removes the little program "CPU-Z" from my system. I've written feedback to Microsoft twice about it and even provided the site link so they could see for themselves that it runs fine in Windows 10. It's simply a little program that id's your cpu and provides a little information on ram & timings, etc. I just reinstall it without giving it a second thought these days. Your situation is probably no more nefarious than that. Also, why would you consider your Win7 solitaire game to be "unauthorized"...? How did that happen? If it was "authorized" for your Win7 installation it's "authorized" now, certainly. So "unauthorized" shouldn't be the reason it's being removed at all. It's like some quirk of their "compatibility" lists.

20. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    It doesn't seem to have removed CPU-Z from any of my systems, but that could be because I use the "exe only" version rather than the installer. But yeah, that sounds plausible. Still, deleting executables is a pretty extreme approach to compatibility, if that's the case.