Windows 7 Ghost Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by opssemnik, Sep 2, 2014.

1. opssemnik

opssemnik MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    #1 opssemnik, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Hello guys, im having some problems with my memory. right now it says that im using 62% of it (i have a 8gb stick), however looking the memory used by all processes, im using less than 3gb (which is way less than 62% out of 8gb)
    updated bios, drivers and windows itself, didn´t work.
    i do have some services disabled (google update,adobe update,nvidia ones,battle eye,teamviewer 9,steam client service,fax,workstation,security center,windows defender,windows firewall,skype updater)
    do you guys have any tool to find more? tried rammap, didnt say much
    imgur(dot)com/dp3nRIy,GdOtXCH,O3MkQCE,n07SzHa
    and
    imgur(dot)com/3NBGrd4

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Just had a quick look & mine is similar at 58%. Your running more than me. Why don't you sort by memory & see whats taking the most.
    You've got multiple winrar files open, are they big files?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. opssemnik

opssemnik MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    no they are 400mb files, sorted by memory didnt show much.
    i gone into task manager, clicked to show some more tabs and looked likes 2 chrome processes had allocated over 1gb of memory, so i closed chrome and im using ie 12 beta now. but my usage is still 3.4gb without anything open
    ps: no ant virus, and i already ran scans,all clean. my pc isn´t on a lan conection and i only download from trusty locations(steam,origin,microsoft)

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #4 zahnoo, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Remove auto start programs one-by-one, reboot and see how much memory you get back. I use autoruns.exe to do that. I've got 39% memory usage right now and all I have running in background is Avast anti virus and Comodo firewall. Of course my browser (FFv31) is running.

Something is eating up your memory and the only way to easily determine what is doing that is to shut things down and see.

If I shutdown FF, memory usage drops to 28%

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. opssemnik

opssemnik MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    #5 opssemnik, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    (OP)
    thats the thing, i disabled stuff that i need and don´t need , no diff.
    right now only skype is set to auto start, and skype is consuming its usual 100mb of ram
    Edit: after some search, i found 2 svshost.exe that uses < 100mb of ram but still allocated 800mb each, do you guys know how can i look the parameters passed when they got opened?(so i can find the service)