Windows 7 has given my machine a meldown all or a sudden

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by digo21, Feb 21, 2011.

1. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    Im not sure what happened to my machine over the last week or so, it seems to have gone into meltdown. Windows installed some updates then suddenly after restarting it would give the blue screen of death just before the login screen.

After a few times of doing this it booted into recovery mode and attempted repairs on the machine, it seemed to have worked and I got into windows and surfing.
    All of a sudden it gives me an error box in the screen taht keeps re appearing if I click ok, it was an error about net framework missing a dll. I searched a bit around and found that net framework 4 might be a problem and to uninstall and then re intall it, I tried to unistall it but if gave me an error that it had parts missing and couldnt continue. I ran windows update again thinking it might be able detect a failed update and fix it by reinstalling what ever had gone wrong.
    After it did a few the computer restarted again and again I got the blue screen of death just after typing in my windows password. I then again got to recovery console and tried to repair the prolems and went back to windows when it was finished. Dont think it fixed it properly as when I run windows live messenger the opening window is just black and I cant select or see anything, I even tried to reinstall windows live messenger but the problem stayed. I also dont seem to have sound, all the devices are working normally and I checked the device manager console. When I ry to test the sound by configuring the speakers it gives an error saying unable to play sound. I have no idea what the hell happened all of a sudden, it was working fine so far. I usually hibernate until I need to restart so Im not sure when this actually happened or what caused it. If anyones got any ideas please let me know.

Additional info, for some reason I cant even see previous restore points to restore back to, it only has the ones for the windows updates I just did yesterday, even though I know I installed itunes last week and it should have one for that.
    Windows update also keeps showing the same file to update everytime, not sure what it is called as Im not at home, but I guess its not installing properly or is the one that was previously updated and started the problems.

Can anyone help with this. As the only option I can think of otherwise is to reinstall Windows and I dont really want to do that, but might have to if I cant get the sound to work or stop the blue screen.

2. cibomatto2002

cibomatto2002 MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    Maybe if you download the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) it would work.

3. laqk

laqk MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2011
    In my experience with Windows 7, when the blue screen of death appears, in 99% of the cases it is due to one of two possible problems:

1) Failing hardware;

2) Malware.

From your description of the different issues you seem to be having, I'd seriously consider the later.

4. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    ...soft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en
    ...soft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e5ad0459-cbcc-4b4f-97b6-fb17111cf544
    I downloaded one of these and installed it, and I remember the blue screen right after I restarted.

5. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    I doubt its hardware, as the windows updates were installed around that time and I remember errors started around then.

I will install Kaspersky internet security 2011 trial when I get home and see if that pics up anything. Thanks

6. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    Is there anyway to reinstall or upgrade but keep my current settings, folders, files, programmes. I cant remember what version I have but im sure its not ultimate.

7. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    I havnt used bitdefender before, will the rescue cd just scan my computer for viruses, malware. Or will do anything else.

8. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Did you try booting in safe mode? If you have BSOD in safe mode could mean that is hardware failure!

9. subpsyke

subpsyke MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    You should really investigate if it's a hardware issue. Run a memory diagnostic (built-in or memtest86).

10. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    #11 digo21, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    (OP)
    I ran it no problems in memory found.

Bit defender didnt find anyhting major, picked up 3 trojans 2 were some AIO kits and another was in the Windows directory called final.exe removed all.

11. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    #12 digo21, Feb 21, 2011
    (OP)
    I reinstalled the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) and no blue screens yet. But msn live messenger is still just a black screen and sound doesnt work. Any ideas what else I could try.

Pics attached, and I know the volume is muted in the pics but I did that while i was messing around trying to fix it.

additional note Windows Media player doesnt play videos.

Attached Files:

12. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    Any ideas if sp1 would help with this.

13. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    sp1 will not install if there are underlying issues with the windows files
    neither of those scanners mentioned are fool proof... if his system is really rootkitted (I suspect it is), then he needs to run an online scanner... I used panda activescan when my XP machine was root kitted.... it found the crap and I was able to remove it all by hand then run malwarebytes again to cleanup the left overs once the rootkit no longer could block detection in an offline scanner

14. asabater

asabater MDL Member

Sep 6, 2008
    #15 asabater, Feb 22, 2011
    .NET Framework cleanup tool change history

The current build was created on December 31, 2010

For more information about the .NET Framework cleanup tool, see the following links:

This .NET Framework cleanup tool is designed to automatically perform a set of steps to remove selected versions
    of the .NET Framework from a computer. It will remove files, directories, registry keys and values and Windows
    Installer product registration information for the .NET Framework. The tool is intended primarily to return your
    system to a known (relatively clean) state in case you are encountering .NET Framework installation,
    uninstallation, repair or patching errors so that you can try to install again.

There are a couple of very important caveats that you should review before using this tool to remove any version
    of the .NET Framework from your system:

* This tool is designed as a last resort for cases where install, uninstall, repair or patch installation did not
    succeed for unusual reasons. It is not a substitute for the standard uninstall procedure. You should try the
    steps listed in this blog post before using this cleanup tool.

* This cleanup tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework. If
    you run the cleanup tool, you will need to perform a repair/re-install for all other versions of the .NET
    Framework that are on your computer or they will not work correctly afterwards.

saludos from spain:)

15. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    #16 digo21, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks for all the replys, I havnt had time yet to run all the scans as I only get time after work.

I'm gona be trying the tips you recommended, but I dont think its been rootkitted or has any viruses, as I'v scanned it with Kaspersky and also bit defender through their live cd so before booting. I also dont really download files form the web or music so dont think it was caused by anything like that.

I think the updates caused my system core files to mess up.

I'm also getting this error again now, even though I checked Net framework and uninstalled and then reinstalled it yesterday. I also checked it with the verification tool and no problems were found.

Attachment shows the error message which doesnt go and keeps coming back no matter how many times I click ok.

Would it be ok for me to post my SFC scan log file on here for someone to take a look at, as I see a lot of problems and not sure I know I know how to fix them?
    And is there any sensative info on there that I should shouldnt post or remove.

Attached Files:

16. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Like I said already, just because your Kaspersky and bit defender didn't find anything, doesn't mean your computer is clean.
    Rootkits are rootkits for a reason... they hide themselves real good on a system!

You need to run an ONLINE scan to really be 100% sure you have nothing

17. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    Did the scan all it was found was cookies.

18. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    You did a scan with an online scanner?

19. digo21

digo21 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2011
    Yea panda active scan. Nothing found other than cookies.