Windows 7 Home Basic N activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BubuXP, Aug 15, 2010.

1. BubuXP

BubuXP MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #1 BubuXP, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    I installed Windows 7 Home Basic N using bios with SLIC 2.1 and compatible certificate, but I found that OEM SLP keys from non-N don't work.
    So I searched and found a couple of OEM SLP keys and they were installed without errors, but Windows won't activate.
    Where I'm wrong? I first modded the bios, checked that the certificate matches the SLIC 2.1 and then I installed the certificate and key.
    Do I need some particular certificate and/or SLIC for N editions?

P.S.: using the commands found on the Windows 7 Repository thread it says that the version is Retail. Maybe I need to change somehow it to OEM?

P.P.S.: I tried using Windows Loader to activate but it says it's an unrecognized version of Windows, and without OEM SLP keys leaked it won't work, but I found 2 OEM keys for Home Basic N.
    Does the mantainer of Windows Loader missed that?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have not found many information on N edition, because it's hard to search only for a letter. Does anybody knows if there's a thread on this forum about N editions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BubuXP

BubuXP MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    The keys could be OEM but not the SLP type. It could be NON_SLP, COA or System Builder types. Just check those keys with a PID checker.

4. BubuXP

BubuXP MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Checked one, it was Retail.
    I didn't saved the other key, but I think it was Retail too.
    Now I formatted the pc with a normal version of 7 and removed WMP via Windows Features. That should get the same result, right?

5. MadSheep!

MadSheep! MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
  6. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    not really the wmp files are still on your PC just disabled .
    the proper N version does not have these files ,(ie) they are not installed .I have proven this to myself by installing and activating early and later (N) versions, alongside normal versions . home basic occupied 13.9gb home basic(N) occupied 10.9gb both installed on 48gb partitions , with all windows updates for both and drivers (same) installed. both installed from genuine windows (iso) RTMs (no other software installed.
    the (N) version was the early RTM version that had no wmp and no internet explorer ,although some IE files are there for shared use.
    this is strange, as with other windows installations it appears that all files are installed whatever the version and are disabled or enalbled depending on what version is selected (activated).
    I use 3 activation files from non N versions along with key and cert to activate my N OSs and it works fine ,I have installed WAT ,and it did nothing also they validate perfectly well on the microsoft site ,and show up as N versions ,I have even been offered the wmp updates etc that are only offered to N versions.
    I have 4 of these N installations currently installed and 2 of them have been working fine for well over a year .

7. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    just to clarify ,there were 2 versions of (n) the first came out as RTM and was signed off on the 13.7.09 .this first version had no wmp and associated programs or internet explorer . but this version was quickly withdrawn and later replaced with the N1 version ,that we all now know as just N .
    this newer version only has wmp removed although there are a few mp files needed for other programs to function . I have both versions in 32 and 64bit .
    I usually use the home basic versions as they are devoid of all the flashy appearance and install size is a few gb less than full versions of windows 7 .also after quite a bit of use ,I am realising that its also a fair bit faster than other versions ,for the softwares I use .

8. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    Because the N version is not sold as "standard" in most European countries. The price is the same as the full version, and you can download WMP if you like. I have not seen any store that sells the N version with a computer. But you can buy the N version from different internet stores, like Microsofts own store in the UK.
    Because of most pc manufactues don't sell computers with N version installed on a computer, no OEM-SLP keys has leaked. It can not be many people that has got it with their computer, if they don't have ordered it beside the computer.

I have checked here in Norway (but we are not member of the European Union) and Sweden (that is member of the EU) and no internet store sell any computers with the N version installed on any computer. ( I have of course not checked EVERY internet store, but the largest)

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It was the same with vista only Acer Vista Home BasicN and Vista BusinessN ever appeared.

10. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    @ myhken
    @ urie

Thank you both, for taking the time to explain. Very informative. I've been wondering why there are no leaked N slp keys for quite a while.