Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Earthnet, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Earthnet

Earthnet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2018
    Hi all -

I have a spare Windows 7 Home Premium box that I would like to upgrade to Professional.
    No Anytime upgrade key. No media. Any proven techniques would be welcome! ;)

TIA!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #2 CaptainKirk1966, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Run slmgr /dlv from cmd prompt. If it reports that you are activated by oem_slp, then just go ahead and use any Professional key from this post.

3. Earthnet

Earthnet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2018
    Nice, thanks. Will give it a go.

Two questions -

What are the chances of it permanently working without grief?
    I tried before with a different key (not from here) and I had to restore the whole disk image, lol.

Do I input in the Anytime Upgrade field?

TIA :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Best way to install clean is use DAZ loader and you can install Professional version.. that about it.. Please remember backup all your drivers, docs, music and etc you want to keep..

5. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, an oem_slp Professional key will work as anytime upgrade, provided your Home Premium is already licensed in oem_slp channel. The anytime upgrade will be done online, without the need for installation media.

Other options would include using Daz loader to convert the existing Home Premium to the oem_slp channel, then do the anytime upgrade to Professional. Or clean install of Professional and use Daz loader, but that would certainly require installation media.

6. Earthnet

Earthnet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2018
    @CaptainKirk1966 - One more question before I use that oem_slp key...

If it's already used by someone, won't Windows (MS activation server) reject it as a duplicate?

Just want to know what to expect, lo! :)

7. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    No.

8. Earthnet

Earthnet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2018
    OK. Thanks!

9. Earthnet

Earthnet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2018
    @CaptainKirk1966 -

They keys worked like a charm. Went from Home Premium to Professional to Ultimate.
    I'm just curious to know from a technical standpoint how they work vs. Daz loader? :dribble:

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    OEM_SLP activation consists of 3 parts; a SLIC table in OEM machines BIOS and a certificate with matching key installed in Windows. If your machine has a valid SLIC table Win 7 (all editions) only needs the certificate and the key (matching the installed edition) to activate instantly offline. When the SLIC is missing (like on self-assembled machines) Daz Loader can be used to emulate the SLIC table and trick Windows into thinking it's properly installed on an OEM machine so a cert and key will activate it.

11. Earthnet

Earthnet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2018
    #11 Earthnet, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    (OP)
    @s1ave77 - Interesting. Is there a way to safely view the BIOS of a system (not from a user view)?
    I would like to see that SLIC table if at all possible. :)