Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by oz0ne, Jun 28, 2010.

1. oz0ne

oz0ne MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    I just purchased a new Dell laptop with W7 Home Premium pre-installed. What would be required to do a clean install of Ultimate? Just the .iso and a key, or would some BIOS mods be needed as well?

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Why would u biosmod if your laptop already came with 7 (which needs slic 2.1 in bios to activate).. just do a "anytime upgrade" using dell ultimate oemslp key.

3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Depends on what you would be most comfortable with.

You could use a loader if you prefer a software solution or mod the BIOS (if necessary) for a more permanent solution.

At any rate, the three things you need are a OEM:SLP Key, a SLIC Table and a matching Certificate. The SLIC Table can be either added to the BIOS or emulated.

What install medium you use is pretty much irrelevant as any of them (except of course Enterprise) can be turned into an all-editions medium by removing ei.cfg from the sources folder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. oz0ne

oz0ne MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    How do I go about doing an "anytime upgrade"?

5. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    control panel -> "anytime upgrade"

plunk in an OEM SLP key (any vendor's will do), grab a cup of coffee while you wait, and you're done

6. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    his laptop came with windows 7 and therefore it has slic 2.1 and certificate already, only needed thing here is the oemslp key:)

7. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Yes, i agree that AnytimeUpgrade would probably be the quickest way in this case.

Unless of course a fresh install is explicitely desired for whatever reason...like too much bloatware installed with the pre-installed edition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    True true :)

Only i think the OEM software isnt bloatware at all, maybe all the other trialcrap is but its easily uninstalled..

9. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
  10. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    True but it is a Dell laptop, why use a different manufacturers key? :)

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    It's a preference thing I believe. Shouldn't matter but whatever works...lol

12. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Only saying you could have added the information that the keys aren't brand specific. He might think it has to be a key according to the brand and that's not true.

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    True but it won't matter in functionality so there are no worries concerning this ;)

14. oz0ne

oz0ne MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    Thanks for everyone's input. I just went with the anytime upgrade and worked like a charm. Do appreciate the information.

15. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Yeah, for some reason i still cant fathom Microsoft made this very easy to do.

Practically anyone with a leaked SLP Key can upgrade their system that way, and its not like it wasnt to be expected that they are being leaked again.

Oh well, just enjoy your new system...:)

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I wonder myself why or if MS actually does these things on purpose or accidental. I mean the hole in the registry that leaves the door open to rearm with IR4 is huge and with SP1 they just gave windows 7 users 5 rearms instead of the 3 people get with 7 install. So I'm uncertain what their game is but it's working for us 7 users that's for sure...lol

17. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    They cant be that dumb so it has got to be intention.

But then again, considering how many awefully stupid things they do, (things as in unbelievable blunders), maybe im just giving them too much credit...he...

18. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    lol...I think they did it one purpose. I mean really how hard can it be to find a loader in the hidden partition, etc...

And why would they increase rearms to 5 with SP1 :eek:

Either they are setting us up for a fall or they are in consideration to the poor people who can't afford 7 or they like you suggested are just lame and out of it...lol

I dunno :p

19. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    The additional rearms are probably to make working with the microsoft imaging tools easier. If you're working with a live reference image, every time you run sysprep -generalize you have to burn one unless you muck around in the registry first, so you have a limited number of times before you have to totally rebuild your image from scratch.