Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by octoberasian, Nov 19, 2013.

1. octoberasian

octoberasian MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Ok, complex situation and Microsoft support is of no use. I purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade through Windows Anytime Upgrade, upgrading from Starter to Home Premium for $79.95.

I am wondering three things:
    1. Where can I get a retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium as a download?
    2. Can I use the product key that was given to me by Microsoft to install Windows 7 Home Premium on another computer?
    3. Can I convert the Upgrade ISO to a Full version ISO and install it with that product key?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    What exactly do you want to accomplish? What you need to do will determine what you have to do to get there. Lots of very good information here: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7126-The-Official-Windows-7-Repository

1. You can trust the download links found on this site and the downloaded ISO can be tweaked to install the version you want very easily.
    2. Yes, but you may run into licensing issues.
    3. No need to since you can download a full version via safe links provided by this site.

My answers are very rudimentary and present only a surface explanation of the whole "situation". If you haven't already, you need to read all the stickies.

Microsoft licensing is quite complex. In some case they do allow multiple installations (Family Pack Windows 7) and in some it's "One and Done". But having come to this site for help, you need to read up on the various activation methods offered here. Daz's loader for instance.

3. octoberasian

octoberasian MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    I installed the retail ISO of Home Premium, I did the registry edit on MediaBootInstall, but it kept giving me the error that I could not use the product key on a clean install. o_O

4. octoberasian

octoberasian MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    It's an Anytime Upgrade product key for Windows 7 Home Premium, bought for $79.95 when I upgraded the laptop's OS from Starter. It is a genuine product key.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    To activate a clean install with an upgrade key, you need to set MediaBootInstall to 0 after the install,

Then open CMD and type: slmgr -rearm

Hit Enter

Then reboot, and activate with your upgrade key

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Did laptop come with windows 7 starter preinstalled i,e, OEM:SLP if so you may be able to use windows anytime upgrade buy just entering Home Premium OEM:SLP key look Here

P.S. not sure if this is still available since release of windows 8

7. octoberasian

octoberasian MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    I'm doing a clean install on another computer that has no OS. The laptop that had Starter was upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium through Anytime Upgrade. Now, that previous laptop has Linux installed since it's better on a netbook, but I'm installing Windows 7 on another computer this time that never came with an operating system.

I've tried about four times so far installing Windows 7 Home Premium retail ISO via USB and applying the product key I got from Anytime Upgrade into it. It still gives me an error that I can't use it on a clean install even though I did the MediaBootInstall registry edit.

I don't have money to buy another OS at the moment and there's no way to modify the BIOS, so I'm seeing if I can get this to work but it's not working.

8. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Addicted

Jul 12, 2009
    You will need to perform another upgrade of Win7 while running the OS, using your USB drive. After the upgrade is completed, Win7 should accept your key and you'll be able to activate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. octoberasian

octoberasian MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Is there a way to convert a retail ISO from one of the links above to an upgrade so the upgrade will install?

Scratch that, re-ran the same install and saw the Upgrade option. I'm going to give that a try.

10. octoberasian

octoberasian MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Attempt #5, no go.

Will I be able to activate via phone instead? Will they even let me do that?

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Do it how I told you,

MediaBootInstall = 0
    CMD: slmgr -rearm
    Reboot
    Activate with upgrade key

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007