Windows 7 HP COA Install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by user0123, May 25, 2013.

1. user0123

user0123 MDL Novice

May 25, 2013
    I have a laptop with a broken hard drive. The drive is going to be replaced but I wanted to know if there was a way to reinstall Windows without ordering a recovery disc from HP. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I found another thread which I can't link to (id is 33944), but it didn't really explain what it meant.

Can I install Windows 7 on this machine with a retail Home Premium 64-bit disc? How does a COA key work? Is there anything special I have to do to activate Windows using a retail disc?

Any help would be great.

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Since its a OEM laptop he could install Windows 7 (Basic, Premium, Pro, Ultimate) and use the HP xrm-ms file with the proper key. (Didn't see that bit about the loader, that works too!)

Save that COA key for another machine that isn't OEM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    one thing about HP laptops .. change pcid os sku with nbdmifit 1.19 and the Shift F1 ADV trick to access advanced os sku window .. change it to ultimate instead of home prem ;) not sure if it affects the activation in the long run but i believe its not neccesary, possibly cosmetic.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thats cosmetic; not mandatory.

:D

5. MWisBest

MWisBest MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    That's exactly what I did when I did a fresh install on my HP laptop a week ago, simply used an OEM:SLP key and installed the xrm-ms file matching the SLIC in the BIOS. Not really even to save the COA key, but just to save time because last time I did a fresh install of Windows 7 on another laptop and tried to use the COA key that came with it, it wanted me to call M$ to activate it despite being connected to the internet.